Mac's review of VW

Interesting post. For some reason i am unable to reply to it and it is not locked.

I find it interesting how he comments on comparisons between VW and AC. Despite him giving the impression he is up to speed with AC, the way he talks about the move command and many others lower doen means he is not.

I would also liek to know what machine spec he did his review on. Our IT guy here has bought some new top notch apl's yet VW is proving to crash a lot more than it ever did before (which is pretty much never).

I am new to VW and even if i had been using it for as long as i have AC i would not draw comparisons in the same way the review did. Lets face, if you are a fan of one over the other, it will come out.

Best way as has been done before (but with more arthouse products), is give to a bunch of students who have no knowledge of any applications and give them something to produce.

I am gaining speed and ability in VW and despite only wanting a cross training platform, i would not dream of a comparison of use or users.

Cheers......Q

I am having some trouble installing Vectorworks on my new Mac. I had Vectorworks on my PC, but that stopped working (big surprise there). So I downloaded it to my new Mac and whenever I put my serial number in it doesn't work. Do you have any advice on what I should do?

I am on AC 2010, not had that crash yet, BUT i am not on large buildings yet on this.

VW has been stable for me up until late last week, it would appear something has krept into a few of my drawings as there are a specific few that are troublesome.

That said, both AC and VW have been good for getting crashed files for me. They both handle this well so far.

With regard tot the above, how have you set up your autosave on AC? I would have it set as 5 mins, choose a location not on server, have it overwrite the last save and finally keep the option of deleting saves prior.

Cheers......Q

With regard tot the above, how have you set up your autosave on AC? I would have it set as 5 mins, choose a location not on server, have it overwrite the last save and finally keep the option of deleting saves prior.

Cheers......Q

It was in the office a few years ago (at my previous job) using Acad 2002 that I was autosaving it every 10 minutes. But the .BAK file would become corrupted with the crash - caused by sending a plot. It was a site plan file that may have had some survey junk in it that could not get purged out.

AutoCad 2000 LT has the same crash upon plot behavior (in my present office) - and any file would crash it. I tried installing a service update, but that didn't help. But, it's been a while since I've worked in Acad, and I'm glad about it. It lets me reminisce about all of Acad's technical problems, in a more pleasant nostalgic way.

Bob-h,

Like this VW forum, there is an AutoCAD one, specifically run by Autodesk, but there is a wealth of expertise on their.

You will have a problem as Ac2000 is no longer supported, but the forums do have a section.

I vaguely recall having a similar issue that you talk of.

If your .bak is becoming corupted if you select NOT TO over write can you open a previous file (shodl have a set of .dwg's and on .bak. This way you loose 5 mins of course. (remember if choosing this setting to actively delete your previous old info)

You will ultimatly need o clean your dxf survey (assuming it comes in dxf form still?)

The new AC has a recvery feature, easier to use. Ac2000 does as well if i remember correctly. Do the good old F1 and look it up and or google it. I just cant remember.

Good luck.

Q

I am crashing about three times a day now on VW2010, 2008 also having issues.

One drawing in particular, i took into Acad and cleaned up and so far it has been fine. It was a VW drawing in the first place.

Still try the Acad forum, there is a plot/print section

Cheers.....Q

I am new here (job) and to VW, this is the IT's guy issue, do not know who to get Mac spec etc. Happy to post, but any remedy out of my control if it requires going past any IT set up.

In previous jobs i have very quickly upset IT people buy finding answers and posing problems then solutions when they have been looking into it for some time.

I do not want to get involved but would welcome supporting the forum by including the information.

This was sent in an e-mail mid Jan.

New mac''s arriving for the techi people

I was on the second, but back on my small white silm beauty

For our planners

27"

2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

8GB mem FAST

1TB Serial ATA Drive

ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB

For our techi's

two 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

12GB mem FAST AS WELL

NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB

One 18x SuperDrive

Dual Screens Apple LED Cinema Display (24" flat panel)