Unable to save file on Win 7 with VW v12

CharlesR

Question

Hi

I'm not a regular VW user but provide tech support to a small firm of users. I have just installed a new Win 7 desktop with VW 12.0.1. There are two problems:

1) Whenever a file is opened (with a long file name or short file name) the 'Save...' menu item is disabled (but 'Save As..' is enabled & works).

2) Any file opened is shown with a short name in the title bar. For example 'TestVectorworks.mcd' shows in the title as 'TESTVE~1.MCD' but 'Test1.mcd' displays correctly.

When you 'Save As...' the filename is defaulted but you can then change it to a long file name, or overwrite an existing long file name. The same problem exists with the new saved file.

As a test I also did a fresh install on different desktop with Windows XP SP3 (VW never been installed before) and see exactly the same problem.

The client has three other installations that work fine, all VW 12.0.1, 1 series A licence and 2 series B. Works fine on XPSP3 and Vista SP1, local disk and network share.

This problem is seen on:

1) Windows 7 Professional

VectorWorks 12.01.1(53930) Series A licence

Local NTFS files system & shared drive

Dell Vostro 400

2)Windows XP SP3

VectorWorks 12.01.1(53930) Series A licence

Local NTFS files system & shared drive

Dell Dimension XPS

I have checked that the file name and path does not exceed 255 characters.

BTW: The client is looking to upgrade to latest version of VW but plan is to upgrade to Win 7 first for everyone.

Thanks for any help.

Charles

1 answer to this question