lcda

Question

Im a user of this software since minicad 3

an i think vectorworks is becaming unpopular because:

1 it?s expensive because not all people needs the thousands of tools it has

2 interface is difficult for beginners with all of that unused tools

3 every one hates the usb key

so

i think nemetschek should consider to make a free version of the software, maybe just bidmensional like blueprint were once, just look sketchup is wining a lot of users and the 3dwarehouse library is amazing and the plugins library is great

pros

1 new users that became potential buyers

2 piracy combat

3 with a lot of more users maybe the license could be more affordable

4 more plugins development

5 more forumsof training

6 with a basic set of tools beginners are going to learn faster

cons

1 you will need more investment for attending all new users

2 at first i think you are going to lose money because not all of us requires the full version of the software

but you can try with maybe just adding a basic tool set to viewer just to make a research with or with student license

what do you think

yes but what if improvments becames of users or other software companies?

in my opinion from 2008 to 2010 there is almost no improvments the only real improvement are parasolids but render engine is sitll slow and ugly

and my questions are:

why vectorworks doesn?t have render engines like vray or maxwell?

why companies like autodesk are doing free versions of software at least for iphone and maybe the ipad?

why we do not have road map?

what is going to happend if nemetschek has to sell the software, not for becoming a big company?

Free software? You must be kidding.

How is NNA going to survive if it gives their work for free? VW is a bargain compared to AutoCAD or Microstation which cost about 3 times more and they produce inferior quality drawings.

The reason those programs have a larger user base is because they have brain washed architectural and engineering firms into thinking they have a better product. So if a government agency standardizes on a particular software, everybody working for them have to use the same format and consultants have no other choice but comply with these requirements to get the jobs.

The same effect had IBM and MS on companies when the media argued that PC compatibles with their text only interface were better for business and real applications while the Mac was just a toy for playing games. And I remember well that I just laughed out loud when MS came out with Windows which to this date is still buggy and works only half the time.

Google can afford to give software for free which is an effort to gain users. But you should know that nothing is free in life and down the road, you are going to have pay in some form or another for using the software.

:)

Unfortunately Edmundo, when at 135 laying on your death bed still clutching a tape measure, you can reminiss . . . . . .

"It seemed like a good idea at the time?"

I'd still like a fully functioning and operative MD version of VW but NNA will have to invest quite a lot more in every module before it could aford to release a free one.

keep trying.

1 it?s expensive because not all people needs the thousands of tools it has

2 interface is difficult for beginners with all of that unused tools

3 every one hates the usb key

I beg to differ.....

1 Sure it's more expensive than free?? The Design package is cheaper than AutoCAD LT?!

2 adjust your workspace to suit your needs?

3 i like the usb key it's excellent....we have a couple of server and single AutoCAD licenses and it is pure hell every time a computer is changed or the internet connection is broken or a new person is employed etc, etc.......

Thats the point, for example i think companies like autodesk and microsoft used piracy to standard the architectural drawing

google has a new idea of making this better, standard architectural drawing giving a free version

at the time a lot of students are becoming users that on a future they are going to be licenced products (that?s business in response of what is nna going to earn)

just like we were once, learning as you learn a native language, a primary cad its the same, the first language is easier always and you love it

at this time vectorworks is the elite cad for mac

my worries are simple

sketchup is behind us and running faster wining us all new students

so what do you think we should do?

VW needs to have the "Wheat separated from the Chaff" to make full use of the Parasolids heart so that we can ALL benefit from this tech.

Clean-Up, Clear-Out, Streamline.

Even if it means starting again and charging a bit more for the priviledge, as long as the job is well done, recognisable, functional and practical.

It may take a while for us to see it, but it's investmest in a secure future for VW.

sketchup is behind us and running faster wining us all new students

Is it even possible to quickly draw a plan with walls, doors and windows and dimensions that look good in 2D in Sketchup....?

Even if it means starting again and charging a bit more for the priviledge, as long as the job is well done, recognisable, functional and practical.

I agree with you Andi......I think very few people would mind if the Design module they use would cost double that of what it costs now but with much better and integrated functions.....Fundamentals can stay the same price as is for those users with small budgets and fewer demands....

Edited by Vincent C

Also Edmundo,

why vectorworks doesn?t have render engines like vray or maxwell?

NAG already has a pretty good piece of kit in hand in the shape of Cinema 4D. If NNA were to bin RW and start making use of the World Class C4D components, then, "You Might Just Be on to A Winner." It's already "In House" so there wouldn't be any hefty licensing duties to pay for using it and VW users could use as many or as few modules of the product as each felt was useful/necessary to fit their budget and realise high quality renders and/or animations to taste.

Problem solved!

I agree with you Andi......I think very few people would mind if the Design module they use would cost double that of what it costs now

As long as all the current "Niggles" weren't just ironed out, but, totally blasted into the farthest reaches of the unknown universe. Better still, vapourised!!

I don't think its realistic for VW to produce a free version of the software but I would love to see them dump the dongle and provide a single license that will enable you to run the software on 2 computers such as your desk top and laptop etc. After all if Adobe, Apple and many other software manufactures will allow this why can't Nemetschek.

As for convenience I have no problems with reregistering with Adobe and Apple because they both have really good registration and update management systems in place, you just load the software, register, and enter your software code online and that's it. No fuss, no bother; And for future updates you can customise the automatic update procedure or do it manually.

I currently have Cinema 4D "A Nemetschek product" and this also has a good licence and set-up system why cant VW follow them?

As for the dongle it's self it's very vulnerable stuck on the side of my MacBook and it would also free up a well needed USB port, so please, dump it!

I would love to see them dump the dongle and provide a single license that will enable you to run the software on 2 computers such as your desk top and laptop etc.

There must be a valid reason why VW is licensed with a dongle outside the US. I cannot imagine myself carrying a dongle everywhere to use the software. With the single license here you can install it in as many computers as you like but you can only use it in one computer at a time.

There must be a valid reason why VW is licensed with a dongle outside the US. I cannot imagine myself carrying a dongle everywhere to use the software. With the single license here you can install it in as many computers as you like but you can only use it in one computer at a time.

Lucky you,?Miguel!

The dongle enigma is a real pain for the "Truely Faithful" users of VW. I want to be able to open old files in previous versions of VW without the risk of modifying/damaging the original file(which does happen with recent editions) on a Mac running an older OS suited to a particular version of VW. Now, I have to shut down everything I am doing and restart each Mac in order for it to read the dongle evry time.

This constant unplug, plug in, ?unplug, plug in, ?unplug, plug in, causes a strain on the USB ports and I'm sick of replacing hubs and keyboards because of the unnecessary wear and tear the "Dongle Swap Factor" causes.

i'm a long term Loyal user since MiniCAD5 I think this loyalty should be rewarded with a little trust from NNA ?like a patch for old versions that will deDonglise older versions. Add a network lock that ties it to the current version on my main machine if absolutely?necessary, but PLEASE simplify this Stoopid Dongle Ball And Chain.

It would create less work for NNA too. One security system instead of two. As it is we are obliged to update online connected to the net or it fails, so what on earth is the dongle for if not simply to make life a difficult for the good guys??

earlier today I was 300 kms away from home looking at a property to buy

came across one that a dual occupancy could be done on

could get pdf versions of some builders plans and see how they went

had me laptop with me but no dongle

came home

dongles are dumb

BTW there are some places on the net that will 'emulate' them

locks are to protect us from thieves

honest people do not need them

Yes i would like the ecotect modules, the relux light analizer tool, subdivision technology in all tools, but...

if we can?t even have a road map

how is this even possible

it seems like NNA is on a crisis, because they can not raise too much the price of the software and buy all aur gifts, and the other way to have money is to sell a lot of licences

the question is still the same

is a vectorworks free a good idea of becoming a bigger, becoming more popular software, and have more licenced users

or there is another way of thinking bigger

Today's buisness ethic unfortunately even with everyone having less to spend, is still " Keep what you Reap."

Just like industrial polutants, but let's stick to the subject.

Trouble is, if you don't sew, you can't harvest, NNA do a little of what you ask and make a trial version/time limited available with every new release. Surely this goes part of the way to giving you what you want . . .

Doesn't it?

Edited by AndiACD

In today's economic climate which could take years to improve there could be a justification for a price reduction in the Nemetschek VW software and less updates and improvements that require further investment.

Take me for an example, I waited a couple of years before I paid ?1161.18 for an expensive update from VWA-R 12.5.3 to VWD2009 after confirming there was not any proposed updates within the next couple of months or so by Nemetschek VW, or id wait.

I was told there wasn't and I received the software update and was generally pleased but then I noticed a bug and a few features that didn't seem to work very well i.e importing/updating old mcd files, texture wrapping around doors and windows, the stair tool and the lack of roof-lights etc; which caused a lot of problems and costly work for me. I was hoping a free update would solve or improve these features, but within 3 months of purchasing the software 2010 came out and behold those problems were fixed and improved upon.

What got my goat was VW was marketing those same improvements and for me to upgrade would cost a further ?727.27 now that's expensive!!! and not good value in these economic times!!!!!

For me its the little things and I feel VW has lost its way over the years and is just sucking me dry. So Sorry about the "rant" and to your answer, Free does not mean better; Free does not mean becoming more popular; Its all about customer satisfaction, support, value, and most importantly user and press recommendation, and with all these in place designers will invest time and money in Nemetschek VW and the community will grow?

Edited by Carl Newton

I don't agree with a free version, but I do think that the cost of updates could be looked at also, loose the dongle please.

I dread to think what it would cost me to replace it if it was stolen or lost, I have no choice but to take it with me as i work away a lot.

Carl, keep tabs on updates here on the forum as if you upgrade in the month prior to the new release you are usually offered a free update to the latest version when it"s released.

Most subscribers are only to happy to help out on this front, so don't be afraid to ask. August/September seems to be the release period, so prep for that time.

I upgraded from V11 to 2009 and was surprised that you paid over a grand, but then, I don"t believe in RW. C4D rules . . . .

;)

Russel, we need to be given the same respect that US users are offered.

No Dongle!!!

I guess the dongle is a Mac thing. I run VW2010 on my home and work PCs with no dongle.

Some of the complaints are definitely related to individual graphics cards and processors. VW runs noticeably better on my home computer.

I upgraded from 12 to 2010 and I'm loving it. The price was a little hard to swallow, but its been worth it. The "you tube" videos and other online tutorials are fantastic. (as well as the VW forum)

The free viewer works great for my boss. He can access my file at any time but can't change a thing.

Yes, I've noticed a few bugs but I'm sure improvements will be continually made.