Stair tool hell

jnr

Question

From the architect forum:

I mentioned this a previous post and will say this again: NNA needs to put both stair tool vendors in a room and lock the door until they come up with one functional PIO. Maybe then they will produce one tool that combines the functionality of both tools, that is stable, and works in multi level buildings. At this juncture I don't find the new stair tool PIO useful. For the most part, by definition, a stair is between levels (usually levels). To have to go thru a bunch of graphic gymnastics to get this stair to appear on an upper level, renders the tool essentially worthless, and is frankly ridiculous. The existing PIO we've suffered thru for all these years has become so unstable, glitchy and uncompromising in the current version, its almost worthless as well.

Since architects compromise a major part of the company's revenue base, this needs to be a MAJOR priority in the next release.

FIX IT PLEASE!

6 answers to this question

From the architect forum:

I mentioned this a previous post and will say this again: NNA needs to put both stair tool vendors in a room and lock the door until they come up with one functional PIO. Maybe then they will produce one tool that combines the functionality of both tools, that is stable, and works in multi level buildings. At this juncture I don't find the new stair tool PIO useful. For the most part, by definition, a stair is between levels (usually levels). To have to go thru a bunch of graphic gymnastics to get this stair to appear on an upper level, renders the tool essentially worthless, and is frankly ridiculous. The existing PIO we've suffered thru for all these years has become so unstable, glitchy and uncompromising in the current version, its almost worthless as well.

Since architects compromise a major part of the company's revenue base, this needs to be a MAJOR priority in the next release.

FIX IT PLEASE!

AMEN!!!!!!! As i have posted before.....

"I have been with VW since Minicad 4 days and have experience with most of the major cad software packages out there. (ACAD, Archicad, Allplan, Revit to name a few) They all have strong points and fall short in other areas.

The main problem i have with my favorite (yes Vectorworks) ;-) is the addition of bells and whistles while some of the core "should be bread and butter" tools remain useless.

Case in point the stair tool. I have seen and used the "new and improved" Custom stair tool. Ooooookay.... it does remind me of the Archicad work horse.... but it performs like it's stepsister. According the posts with its issues and my own tests show the stair tool needs to be scraped and built from scratch. Does NA actually use designers to provide insight on what needs be shown (2D) and rendered (3D)? Why oh why is it sooooo hard to get that tool to work as it should?

Any designer worth their salt or the sweat off their body after a 6 mile run should know that any building should have a foundation capable of holding its weight. Just the same so should VW. For some strange reason I recall answering a poll in relation to the stair tool and 2 versions later (while the tool "looks" better) it is basically the same... not working as it should.

I WISH FOR THE CORE TOOLS TO DO WHAT THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO....

****Clicking my heals while saying "There's no cad like VW. There's no cad like VW. There's no cad like VW"******

8 hours to fix the problem and come up with a workaround- $1200 + 100 additional gray hairs

2 hours find and diagnose the problem - 300 + 30 additional gray hairs

1 min if a tool works correctly - priceless

My 2 cents.