Unable to open VW2010 after successful install....

Alexa_C

Question

Hi,

I am new to the forum and have only been learning VW for a few months at college. I have sucessfully installed the student version of VW 2010 on my PC (Vista Ultimate) but the app won't open because some Quick Time resource files (resource.qtr, help resource,qtr & locale.qtr) won't can't be opened and therefore neither can VW.

It's very frustrating because I can't use the program at home and I'm falling behind everyone else. The support guy I've been speaking to hasn't seen this problem before and therefore hasn't solved it before going on holiday for a week :-/

I wondered if updating QT would do the trick?

If anyone can help I'd be very grateful!

Alexa

21 answers to this question

Right click on Vectorworks2010.exe and choose properties, Compatibility tab and check "Run this program as an administrator".

Please create a signature with your version of Vectorworks and computer specs including OS so people trying to help don't have to search through the thread to find the info. Click on the My Stuff link at the top, Edit Profile. Thanks!

So you install and then do nothing in between the install finishing, and then using the start menu to try and start Vectorworks? You don't move anything anywhere, or anything like that?

And just so we are clear, did you try Ray's suggestion to try and run as administrator?

Hi Ray, I need help! I also have the student version 2010 in windows vista. I had the same problems as Alexa, all of them, and I did everything you told here, and now i can open the program. But i still have problems to draw and see the drawings. There is something wrong with the screeen, 'cause i cannot see anything i draw, and when i open a project, i cannot see anythin, although the project is opened and all the comands are working. Besides that sometimes my screen is black! What is happenning? I'm desperate, since i have to od my thesis and the deadline is approaching...! Thank yo very much! Magna

Please create a signature with your version of Vectorworks and computer specs including OS so people trying to help don't have to search through the thread to find the info. Click on the My Stuff link at the top, Edit Profile. Thanks!

Hard to tell. The first thing I would try is to update your video drivers. Go to the manufacturers web site and download the newest version.

I'm having the same problem - I have Windows XP and can't run Vectorworks 2010 student version - when it's about to start up it says it has encountered a problem and has to close. I installed and reinstalled it and both older and newer versions of Quicktime many, many, many times, updated my video driver, installed all windows updates including .net framework and now just tried creating a new account - and I'm still getting the same error! What now?

ps- I notice in the user accounts there is a ASP.NET MACHINE A...which is a Limited Account and password protected. Could that have something to do with the problem?

Thanks for you help, I appreciate it! After many, many days on the phone with tech support and trying a multitude of options, it comes down to the fact that my computer with its pentium 3 processor is apparently too old for Vectorworks 10 to function on it. Shopping for a new computer I guess..