NURBS

Where can I get any useful information about using NURBS (The manual is vague to the point of being useless). How about some examples in the how to section of your web site. What I'm trying to achieve is a curved ramp. Say for example a ramp that starts at 8' high and then rotates through 90 degrees and drops down 8'.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by Vince:

Where can I get any useful information about using NURBS (The manual is vague to the point of being useless). How about some examples in the how to section of your web site. What I'm trying to achieve is a curved ramp. Say for example a ramp that starts at 8' high and then rotates through 90 degrees and drops down 8'.

NURBS, being new to VW, don't have all the interface and flexibility we intend them to have in the long run. While it is possible to use VectorScript to create the nurbs surface you describe, if your ramp is a circular path, you might find it easier to create a sweep (of a line or a long thin rectangle) with a 32' pitch to create such a ramp. Or, if you need it to follow a not-quite-circular path, create that sweep and then use extruded polylines to cut away the bits you don't need with the Subtract Solids operation.

If this isn't good enough for what you need, let me know and I'll try to explain how to create actual nurbs surfaces.

------------------

Andrew Bell

andrewb@nemetschek.net

I am not an official spokesperson for NNA

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by Vince:

Thanks for your speedy reply. I tried your advice. What I need is a ramp that starts horizontal sweeps thru 90 degree's and ends horizontal. Imagine someone needs to walk down it.

Sweep a horizontal line around a locus, and you'll get just that. If you want to e-mail me, I can send you a sample file that demonstrates it.

------------------

Andrew Bell

andrewb@nemetschek.net

I am not an official spokesperson for NNA