copy objects from one file to another problem

Hello -

I am having touble copying information from one VWA/L 9.0.1 file to another. Here's what is happening.

I have a file that contains numerous layers, classes, symbols, etc. that was created in the preliminary stages of a project. I now want to 'archive' that file, and start fresh with a new project file. I tried this by simply selecting all of the elements from one layer of the original file and copying them to a new layer in the new file. No other work has been done on the new file. The problem that I seem to be experiencing is that symbols that contain doors and windows do not come in correctly. For example, I had made a comglomeration of doors and windows into a symbol that then get inserted as one large unit into a wall. When copied to the new file, the wall that contains the symbol is shifted radically in the 'Y' direction and the windows and doors within the symbol are placed in random locations (and orientations!) around the plan.

Is this a known bug, or do I need to send you a file, Nemetschek?

Thanks -

------------------

d. s h a f f e r

a r c h i t e c t

By "archiving the file," wouldn't you want to duplicate the whole file first (outside of VW), give the duplicate or original a new name (like mcd-12oct01), lock one of them (are you on a Mac?), then continue with the other? When you mention numerous layers and classes that's the first thing that comes to my mind -- it's generally easier to eliminate unwanted items in a duplicated drawing than adding items with intricacies like layers, classes, symbols, etc.