Sign in to follow this  
J Hank

Inserting A Window

I have a problem inserting a window into a wall in 2010. Never had this problem in 2009. I begin the action (via icon or Shift+D) and all looks fine for a second and then the mode icons switch back to the 2D Selection Tool and I am not able to insert a window! Anyone else have this issue?

Do you have Wall Insertion Mode turned on?

Do you have Class Options set to Show/Snap/Modify Others switched on?

So I'm just getting back to this issue. Thank you so much for your response. I did check the wall insertion mode is on and i have my settings as show/snap/modify others! If I click on the window icon itself, when i move my mouse a few inches away from the icon, everything switches back to the 2D Selection Tool as if I never clicked on the icon to begin with. I was able to hold my mouse near the mode icons, hit the shift+D to begin the window insert and click on preferences. When I did this I received an error message that says "An attempt to defina a Plug-In Object named 'Window' failed because Symbol Definition with that name already exists in the current document. The entire operation is cancelled."...so i went to my resource browser and chose a window symbol from there and tried to insert it but it shuts VW down. Hummm....

Create a signature with puter specs and VW version - My Stuff above

I'm not sure if this is everything I should have in my signature but here goes...

You can only have a single object in a drawing with a specific name. If you have a symbol named "Window", the window plug-in won't work. If you have a symbol (or class, or just a named object) named Door (or any other PIO name), then that PIO won't work.

Rename the symbol to Window-1 or something and your Window tool should work again.