Hatch Fade Out

Hey Everyone,

I am trying to make my hatch fade out as to indicate continuing forever and keeping the focus on my actual drawing, just like hand drafting, but I cannot for the life of me figure it out. I tried gradients but I cannot do one with a transparency, or hatch options or texture. Even importing a png with transparency.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Anshu

Interesting problem. I can think of a couple "almost" solutions, but none that truly mimic what you're after... Maybe what you need to do is use a masking object with it's opacity set to some amount less than 100%, such that is covers the part of the hatched object you want to show as faded. Still not exactly right, but perhaps you can play around with the technique and get what you want...

Yea I have thought of that. The problem is that makes faded regions, so you have a chunk at half and a chunk at quarter opacity. What I am looking for is a clean fade out.... seems easy in alot of programs but I cannot find almost anything that has transparency in it....

seems easy in alot of programs....
It is easy for the user to grasp and use, but it is difficult to implement. It would also slow the render and screen redraw times down a lot. Somewhere along the line, the computer is going to have to apply graduated transparency steps to the objects it draws. The smoother the effect, the more steps, just like the masking operation you were contemplating.

Nice wish item, though. Photoshop might be the better tool at the moment.

Raymond