Alternative workflow approach for Teamwork

mike m oz

Question

The attached PDF shows an alternative workflow for Teamwork in a multi user environment. It was developed with the assistance and advice of several users who regularly do projects in this way.

The system is based on having a Master Plan file (or files) where all of the 'design' work is done. This is a working file only and does not contain any working drawings. All of the working drawings are contained in subordinate files with the building information referenced in via Design Layer Viewports (DLVPs).

As a system it has its pros and cons (as any referencing system does). It is however a fairly simple system to set up and manage.

The attached .vwx file is in fact a zip file containing a simple example showing the principles of the system. After downloading the file change its suffix to .zip and extract the folder within. This folder contains three drawings. A master file which is the 'model' file and two subordinate files containing the plans and elevations/sections respectively. Note that the building is modelled in block form only because its purpose is to demonstrate the principles only.

17 answers to this question

This alternative work flow diagram is quite nice, thanks! Did you create it?

It is also similar to the one we have setup, so that reinforces the thought that we are going in the right direction, 3D work flow-wise. I would only add the existing conditions survey file information would be referenced into the master model file, at least that is how we use references for renovation/addition work.

By the way, what is meant by 'resource import link' for schedules? Is that simply a reference of the plan for generating schedules? We find that we have to generate schedules in the master model file, and then reference those into a target sheet file...

Jim based on my experience this is the best way to organize projects when you have multiple project members.

The workflow diagram was drawn in Vw. It's attached at the bottom.

I hadn't considered existing conditions as a separate file. The model part of that I would probably include in the master file - that would depend though on the size of the project.

That difference in handling schedules is because we use different protocols here for those schedules.

• We don't use worksheets for door and window schedules - our door and window schedules are always drawn elevation views.
  • We don't use the the worksheets generated from Space Objects for finishes schedules - our finishes schedules are just simple tables and mostly they are included in the Specification.

So sorry I did not guess that

and can you get this PLEASE - ArchiCAD is not VW

We can not even exchange files seemlessly!!

Yesterday - big job and they work in ArchiCAD

some discussion about that but yeah well we both need to provide 3D

dream on!!

proper exchange between the two is a higher priority

can we wish list that?

• We don't use worksheets for door and window schedules - our door and window schedules are always drawn elevation views.
  • We don't use the the worksheets generated from Space Objects for finishes schedules - our finishes schedules are just simple tables and mostly they are included in the Specification.

Estimators and contractors use window schedules as order lists (X quantity of window type Y, etc), so don't understand how elevation views provide this...?

I have seen schedules done like this before. Doors and windows would be organized by type. I do not know how hardware selection would work.

In some ways we are exploring a similar approach by creating door symbols that would be types. But we always generate schedules and have elevations as an accessory to the schedule.

I noticed, Mike M, your Master File contains all of the floor plan levels, arranged in model form. For the purposes of a working team, have you ever made floor plans as separated files, and reference them into a single model file? Then the team can work on different level files at the same time.

Second Floor.vwx .....

First Floor.vwx ......

Ground Floor.vwx ..... (all referenced to:) Model File.vwx (referenced to:) A1, A2, etc.

Basement.vwx .........

Some nested workgroup references will occur on the building elevations.... unless you reference directly to the drawings, without a model file.

Bob in larger projects there is a need to break the project up horizontally or vertically into manageable chunks. The referencing into subordinate files will still work but it means you will have several DLVPs to colocate and manage rather than one.

For whole model data export (eg. IFC) and views you still need to assemble the model into one file. I would reference those 'chunks' into a separate file used just for those purposes. ie it would not contain any documentation and would not be used to generate any drawings.

The difficulty in having the model over several files is in coordinating the model parts so so the whole is correct. That is another reason why a whole of model file is essential - it allows you to check and hopefully pick up discrepancies between the parts. It gets tricky though if you need to have a whole model view of things like the structure, air conditioning ductwork system or plumbing pipe system.

Approaches to model break up I have seen discussed are:

- by building storey.

- by building area.

- by building exterior and building interior.

Each will have its problems that will have to be dealt with. Things like:

- wall and element joins.

- windows that span across more than one storey.

- structure and services junctions.

Making sure you have made the right choice on how to structure the project is critical. The decision has to be made early in the project and you have to get it right. Changing it once the project is underway is painful and time consuming.

By far the biggest problem though is getting the model part to work balance right. ie having the parts sized so people are working optimally. ie not twiddling their thumbs because there is too little for them to do, or worse still having them stressed out because their is more to do than they can handle. The wildcard as always is changes - changes always have the potential to blow any program out of the water and if they concentrate in one model part you will have a problem. Referencing lacks the flexibility required to add resources to a model part to easily deal with needs like that.

A local user requested Vw 2014 files showing the method in the first post.

As in the first post the attached .vwx file is in fact a zip file containing a simple example showing the principles of the system. After downloading the file change its suffix to .zip and extract the folder within.

This folder contains three drawings. A master file which is the 'model' file and two subordinate files containing the plans and elevations/sections respectively. Note that the building is modelled in block form only because its purpose is to demonstrate the principles only.