Unable to install Update SP2

Outlander

Question

25 answers to this question

It might be helpful to pass along what the error message says. You can also email me your UpdaterLog.txt directly. Please don't post it here, email it to the address at my signature.

Because someone else may come looking for an answer for an update problem, Outlander got a generic ?An error occurred attempting to update an existing installation. The installation failed.?

First, I'd like to apologize to anyone who gets that error. That error is a catch all that generally shouldn't be hit, but a bug caused our standard error handling to be bypassed. This will be fixed in the future.

Upon reading his UpdaterLog.txt, I was able to determine that for some reason Windows was denying permission to overwrite a file. While it's not clear why this was, we moved it out of the way and re-ran the update and it worked fine.

So the more adventurous among you that want to read through the log and see an error about 'Permission Denied' within the Vectorworks folder, you can move that file and the update should work.

Of course you could also come here and we'll help you. :)

Hello,

we also have here problems to Update to VW2010 SP2. Our network is behind a firewall and proxy so no direct internet connection. According to this KB http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/610/Downloading+and+Updating we use a VWProxy.txt file.

In the Updater.log I see that it's reading the VWPRoxy.txt file but it is not using it! On older installations this proxy file worked!

Please help!

Thank you,

David

I might just be that someone else who is looking for an answer for an update problem!

I am trying to update Vectorworks SP1 to SP2. Everything appears to be progressing well until that generic "An error occurred etc etc..." popped up.

I checked the UpdaterLog file and there appeared to be a couple of points in the installation that threw up errors; more than just Windows denying an overwrite permission. So I re-installed Vectorworks, checked for updates again to download a fresh file and then tried to run the update as Administrator. With the same unsuccessful result unfortunately.

Would the fact that I have just upgraded from Vectorworks 2009 have any bearing on the matter?

Many thanks for any suggestions,

David

(Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit)

Guest jkelly

Hi David,

Sorry to hear about your troubles, good to see you got it working. Thanks for posting how you fixed it.

As to davidw's problem, it looks like there is a bug in proxy file parsing for the VW2010 updater. It should be fixed for SP3.

Guest jkelly

If it errors during the main installation process, it's likely to be a bad disk. One thing you can try is copying the contents of the DVD to your disk and installing from there, but more than likely you'll need a new disk.

Guest jkelly

Steven emailed me off list, it turns out the permissions had been changed on his Vectorworks installed folder, making the updater unable to modify files in the directory.

Hi there,

I've been trying to update my version of 2010 SP1 to SP2,3 & 4 but am having no joy.

I seem to be getting the standard proxy problems error message but we have no proxy server.

We have 5 pcs connecting to the internet via a dlink router/modem. Everything is networked together through a TP-LINK TL-SG1016 16 port network switch

We use ESET Smart Security and I've tried with this on and off.

I've read the knowledgebase article and have opened the two ports in the modem/router.

Not getting a lot of support from our local distributer so I thought I'd try this forum.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

Guest jkelly

We've had reports of some ISPs in New Zealand that run proxy servers unbeknownst to their customers. If you would like to email me directly, off this board (including your UpdaterLog.txt from your failed update) I can probably help you out.