Multiple Key Note Legends

Is it possible to create multiple Key Note Legends on the same sheet?

Example: I have 2 viewports on one sheet layer and want to have separate legends, independently numbered and labeled. However, the key notes all appear in one continuous legend even though the notes were placed as annotations in two independent view ports.

I have not been able to divine from VW help (no surprise here) or the Key Note menu if this is possible.

Am I missing something?

In the Help, under "Placing Keynotes" #3. The legend is specific to a layer, the callouts can be on multiple layers, but can reference the same legend.

Doesn't look like you can do this the way you have it set up if I read it correctly. Is it possible to do the same setup as a collection of Design layers?

HTH,

Ion

Well the video on Notes Manager Shows the keynotes being sent to two different legends, but even watching twice I couldn't see how it was accomplished. It appears that there were already legends in the sheet to send the keynotes to.

ion

Thanks Ion. I watched the video and I too was mystified as to how the "water feature" legend came to be. So I went back to my drawing and tried the following:

1) On the sheet layer level (not in annotation mode) I duplicated the existing legend (let's call it A) and dragged it to a position under the second plan.

2) Then via the OIP I renamed the duplicate legend to Legend B. To my surprise the old key notes disappeared and I now had a new blank legend.

3) Then I annotated the second plan (after selecting Legend B in the LEGEND drop-down menu in the Call Out Preferences or in the OIP after placing the Key Note) and the new key notes appeared in Legend B.

Pretty simple after all, though I have found no reference in VW help suggesting this approach.

RGyori: I had to try this out, but I got stumped. After duplicating the legend, how do you rename it? When I look at the OIP with the legend selected, there is no data field for naming the legend (or re-naming it). Is this a VW 2010 feature ? (I'm using VW 2009).

Hello Domer,

I was not entirely accurate in my description (sorry) so following is an edited version:

1) On the sheet layer level (not in annotation mode) I duplicated the existing legend (let's call it Legend A) and dragged it to a position under the second plan.

2) With the new legend selected, in the OIP I typed over the legend name (Legend A) and changed it to Legend B. To my surprise the old key notes disappeared and I had a new blank legend.

3) Now I annotated the second plan: While in the annotation mode of the second viewport, I selected the Key Note tool, opened the Key Note preferences and selected Legend B from the Key Note Legend drop-down menu. From then on all added Key Notes appeared in the new Legend B.

(If you skip opening the Key Note preferences all the new Key Notes will appear in the last, Default, legend not the new Legend B. However you can still move the newly placed Key Notes by shift-clicking them then then in the OIP change the "Default" selection in the Keynote Legend drop-down menu to Legend B.)

Hope this makes more sense!

Bob.

Thanks ... but .... I'm not getting it. After I duplicate the legend, changing the name yields no results. (The same notes remain as before.) Is the name that you are changing = data field in the OIP that is called "title" and is below the field "rotation" ? (this is under the "shape" tab, and the default reads "Notes")

Could my problem be that my test notes are not from a database but are just my hand typed notes?

Thanks ... but .... I'm not getting it. After I duplicate the legend, changing the name yields no results. (The same notes remain as before.) Is the name that you are changing = data field in the OIP that is called "title" and is below the field "rotation" ? (this is under the "shape" tab, and the default reads "Notes")

Could my problem be that my test notes are not from a database but are just my hand typed notes?

Domer and Jonathan,

My notes were all hand typed, not from a data base. Domer, yes you are typing in the correct field in the OIP.

I just tried my procedure in VW2009 (collecting dust in my Applications folder) and it didn't work. Typing in a new legend name after duplicating the legend did not eliminate the original note list. Again in VW2010 it works fine.

It is now apparent to me that in VW2010 the Key Note Legend behavior is different and the Key Note (Callout) OIP information has been expanded to include, among other things, the drop-down menu for "Keynote Legend".

Sorry Domer. Bummer.

Bob