Visualization Walkthrough?

MannyC

Ive been using Vectorworks 2010 Landmark for about 2months and i feel ive been making some good progress. Ive been creating some nice 3d environments and i would like to use some of the same techniques ive been seeing online. I would like to create a camera walkthrough in my 3d project.

Is this achievable from the visualization toolbar?

thank you very much for your time

yes. create a series of key views for your walkthrough. save each view with a name, view 1, view 2 and so on.

Model > create animation... > move along a path

drag your views into the time line to create the walk through.

for notes on this, refer to your Help guide... I have written a short manul for this, but it was for my user group, and it's not yet for sale

if you want a really slick walkthrough, try Animationworks from OZCad:

http://www.ozcad.com.au/otherproducts/vwaddonsAW.html

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

IMO, AnimationWorks is certainly the way to go. It gives much more control over the built in animation tools.

I created the following movie with AnimationWorks a few years ago:

http://panzercad.com/services_presentation.html

I did a longer movie (of a larger model) last year but cannot release it yet :-(

I've not yet needed AnimationWorks in VW 2010, so you may want to look into any compatibility issues first.

I tried the "Model/Create Animation" method and when i try and create an animation from the "move along path option", i get a pop up saying. "The Path Animator can generate animations of the current layer only when the current projection is in perspective"

any idea what this means?

Btw nice walkthough matt, that looked amazing and the sound effects were a great touch

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Thanks Manny,

AnimationWorks saved me a lot of time, so I took that extra time (and then some) to make it even better. It's amazing what sound can do for an otherwise silent animation. A much more immersive experience...

One thing you'll quickly find, using the built in VW animation tools, is that you have little control over the view as it translates between saved views. AnimationWorks allows you to define a target point for the camera while it travels along it's path. This allows you to place multiple cameras (with multiple targets) along a path and set the transition time between cameras (where the camera pans from one target to the next). This kind of control give much more professional results.