"Light Info Record" already exists

ericjames

I have been using Vectorworks since around 2000. Over the past few years, I have started my own library with symbols (some drawn by me, some by others). Since upgrading to 2010, every time I use one of the symbols from my library, I get a messsage from vectorworks saying:

A format named "Light Info Record" already exists in this document. What do you want to do? Replace current file, Rename file, do no import.

It may have done this before I upgraded as well, but I don't remember and it has only recently become really annoying.

So, my question, is there a way to prevent this from happening every time I use one of my own symbols? I'm not even entirely sure what it means, because if I use one of the standard libraries, there is a record attached to those symbols as well, and they don't give the message.

Thanks

Eric

In 2010, there are two record formats. Once called "Light Info Record" and one called "Light Info Record M".

Open your "library" file (the one with your own symbols) in VW 2010

In the Resource Browser - browse a document to a "stock" instrument resource, like ETC.

Those two record formats will be under the Record Formats heading.

Select them both and import.

hth

michaelk

Eric

I probably should have pointed out that the old record format(s) were also called "Light Info Record".

Depending on what version you were using before, the older record formats just have fewer data fields. In 2008 or 2009 fields were added for second beam and field angles for asymmetric beams (PARs), Number of Channels, and Fixture ID.

"Light Info Record M" is new in 2010. It just has data fields for Frame Size and Weight. I'm guessing that M is for metric - and that's why 2010 no longer has separate symbols for imperial and metric. But that's a guess - I don't know that for sure.

hth

michaelk

• 3 months later...

I'm getting that same message, however I don't have any of my own symbols, I'm just using the VW2010 libraries. (And no matter what I choose, when the lights finally get placed in the drawing what is missing is the most crucial part of the light info, the channel count.) I get that notice when I even just select a lamp in, say, the Varilite resource folder in a new document with NOTHING in it. It's driving me crazy because I get 4 prompts each time I try to change the option. And there's no "cancel" button to click. I'm sure this is something simple that I've done to the light info record along the way....

Ok....so it seems that it works with only some types of fixtures, the Martin lamps are placed with channel counts whereas it doesn't seem like the High End or Varilite fixtures are. And yes, I'm using the instrument insertion tool.

Any idears?

Dave

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You will get this message if your are mixing old symbols with new symbols.

The Light Info Record was updated (Things like a second beam, field angle and channel count were added) and if you use a symbol that has an older version of the light info record it wants to know which record format is correct.

If you update the light info record on problamatic symbols you should not see the warning message any longer.

Thanks for the reply, Kevin. So, in the old symbols that are asking this, they don't have a channel count and I need to look that up and input that manually for each type of light that is missing so the patch list is correct? Is that information contained in the fixture somewhere or do I need consult an external reference for it?

By update do you mean select "replace format in the current document"? Whenever I do anything else, I get prompted 4 times BEFORE I can place the fixture and then 4 times MORE after I place it and then it shows up in the OIP with the wrong name. I'm exporting to Vision and I need the fixtures to be correct (for example I get Stage Zoom 1.2k for both the Clay paky alpha 1200 hpe and the 1200 wash). These are VW symbols and I'm using VW2010 for Mac.

thanks for any help at all... this is making me crazy.

Dave

• 4 years later...

I started this thread years ago and following the advice of MichaelK, I was able to take care of the problem. However... since upgrading to 2014... the problem has returned. I have opened my custom file and imported the info records from a stock library, but it doesn't seem to help.

is there something new I should try?

Thanks!

Wow. That was four years ago.

It was a simpler time?

Try this:

Open your custom library. Save as? something else.

In the RB delete Light Info Record and Light Info Record M

Import Light Info Record and Light Info Record from a stock VW file.

I *think* that will take care of it.

Kevin will correct me if I'm wrong?.

hth

mk

• 4 years later...

hi guys,

four years later iam running in another Light Info Record (M) issue  😀

it seems that Light Info Record (without M) doesn´t show up anymore at all. Even if iam opening a new empty file and place a lighting fixture form the vectorworks library, the "Data" field in the Edit 2D Component just shows the Light Info Record (M) as attached, with only frame size and weight. If i want to attach Light Info Record manually i cant find it in the ressource browser popup

in the object manager all fields show up like expected, also int the ressource browser there are both Light Info Records (with and without M)

any ideas anyone?

thanks in advance,

Michael

Edited by keptnahab