Any other multi-users out there?

jfmarch

Question

Hi- We are a small firm with 5 workstations. We are still using VW2009 and will upgrade to 2010 sometime this year. We are still trying to work out the kinks for multi-users on a single project, and are fishing for others experience here.

This would be the ability for a team to work on the same project at the same time using workgroup references over a networked server. We break the files apart by our sheet organizations- plans, ceiling plans, elevations, sections, etc. But everyone can reference the same 'model' file, which is the master project file.

Just curious about other multi-users file structures.

6 answers to this question

getting work done by contractors is not the same as a multiuser environment. In a multiuser environment, you are sharing work all the time, constantly throughout the day.

you could set this up with consultants if you got them to save their files over the Internet using dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTEyOTU4MTU5

The trick with Workgroup Referencing is always to sort out who will be responsible for which parts of the project.

I realize that it's not exactly the same.

It seems, however, that the file setup would be very similar if not identical to that used in a "true" multi-user environment. Instead of working live on my network, I would simply swap in the contractors' revised files as they updated them.

Setting my files up for this kind of use would allow me to more easily grow into a true multi-user environment as my firm grows.

It really IS all about how one breaks the files down for use by multiple parties. Isn't it?

Bill- You question is a good one, and I foresee that you could setup a 'virtual' multi-user file structure with your workers. The trick, I think, is for you to maintain control over any master reference files, and allow them to work only in the target, sheet, files. The other issue is setting up the WG refs so that they are locked when the out of office workers draw, and unlocked, or refreshed, when you get them back and ready to print. I would not want them to have access to any master files, but have them see the reference files as red while they work.

Luckily, my projects are pretty simple and I'd only be working with one or two additional people. It would be great, though, if there was an easy way to check certain parts of the model out to work on them and then check them back in when the work is done.

I'm thinking that I'd break files apart into logical, floors, elevations, details and then reference everything together for the actual drawing set. I'm thinking that I'd put annotations on design layers (using separate classes) so that entire plan, elevation, detail sheets could be worked on separately. My only real hang-up is sections and interior elevations which need to be on sheet layers (until VW allows us to put them on design layers too.) I think that those would simply be in the "print" file.