Vectorworks for iPad

Christiaan

Question

So, I'd like Vectorworks for application for the iPad. I can imagine it being very useful as a site tool.

Open a model directly from a server over cellular internet connection (or sync before leaving office), view model in various forms, add notes and maybe even some analysis tools that can create information on the fly, etc.

Low priority of course but a wish none the less.

• Like 1

With the announcement of the iPad2 and Autodesk already supporting Sketchbook Pro NNA really should get on the stick and produce, what could be the greatest benefit to site analysis since remote sensing.

With two cameras and faster processor this might very well be the perfect tool for anyone working on site development, architecture, landscape architecture.

'don't get me wrong, im sure it will be a nifty toy, but cant see it as a viable platform for VW, and i dont think NNA should waste time on it just yet, who knows, it could be a big flop in a year

What a difference a year makes. 15 million iPads in 9 months and growing!

While the debate on this BB rages on, so does the rest of the real world. Flash is being abandoned swiftly (rightly so until/if Adobe ever gets around to releasing clean code) as battery life is one of the most important issues in the mobile space.

Tablets *are* a new and important form of computing.

A linked Tablet CADD App usable on-site if for nothing else to confirm missing dimensions, non-printed 3D views of intersections etc. would be most useful. Ask not the CADD technicians but the project managers. Autodesk gets this, NNA needs to.

There was also a debate in the late 80's about whether dwg format would ever really amount to anything... L

iPad oh yeah!!

For in the field use, Measurement, notes, sketches, any thing your heart desires.As for outside of the VW use. One site for sharing photos, generating contracts, maps, site layout, even now with twin cams, (I presently have contractors with iPhones use the twin cams to show me issues live via FaceTime). With a VW app the sky's the limit.

need it need it need it!

So, I'd like Vectorworks for application for the iPad. I can imagine it being very useful as a site tool.

Open a model directly from a server over cellular internet connection (or sync before leaving office), view model in various forms, add notes and maybe even some analysis tools that can create information on the fly, etc.

ipad 2 case

leather ipad2 case

iPad2 cases

Low priority of course but a wish none the less.

ust read up on this ipad and it doesnt even have a bloody USB port!!!! or flash support

this is old tech in new clothing

Edited by sadfasd
ust read up on this ipad and it doesnt even have a bloody USB port!!!! or flash support

this is old tech in new clothing

Dear Sad,

Whilst the lack of ports on an iPad stops me from jumping in, it is in Apples nature to lead the way with a fresh view on "New Tech" and wait for the rest to catch up . . . . . And right now "Wireless Connection" seems to be the top of the list.

All of this just so you don't need to carry an Printer, Drive, Optical, Scanner, MacBook Pro, iPod, Desktop, Plotter, Card Readers, Camera. . . . . . . . . . . .etc. etc. . . . . . And all the cables needed to connect Old and New office paperweights.

:)

Not quite there yet, but . . . .

USB, Flash? Definitely not needed at all. This is old tech. I use a program called Billings on my I phone for tracking time. It updates wirelessly with my Mac Pro.

The need for a cable or Flash is a tunnel vision view on whats good or useable.

Remember when everything ran on Dos and a keyboard, then came along a mouse. How weird was that. Now it is THE choice for input. How about Screen Icons, mobile music players(iPod), even the laser writer. All APPLE creations, they are on the forefront of tech. Just hold on for the ride.

All good Bryan, but my keyboard still play a "BIG" part in working with VW.

Select Tools? Keyboard

Move objects? Keyboard

Edit Symbols? Mostly Keyboard

Change View? Keyboard

The list goes on. Not that Mices don't play a big part, but Mouse/Keyboard combo is multi dimensional and still keeps things moving faster than just one or the other.

Not that i don't see the benefit of the touch screen . . . . it's just that VW still has to catch up with current tech on our desktop machines(multi processors/threading to name but two) could be a while before we get to make use of the hardware goodies already available to us.

Andi

Andi,

I do agree with you about the Keyboard and Mouse. However I do not think that an iPad App is meant to or will replace the primary work station. after all call me spoiled but I prefer my 2 30" monitors versus an iPad screen.

The iPad App would ENHANCE the field or mobile capabilities of VW, not replace.

As for will VW catch up the answer is both yes and no. They are always improving and advancing they may create what we are asking for today but there is always tomorrow and we will ask for more. This is how tech advances.

I think an iPad app would be great, as an aide to the primary program.

And Vincent, I know that the hardware key is not wireless but if they created an app I think they would change this.

Bryan, Ya Can't beat a BIG screen! :)

i fully agree with the complementary status of a VW App for the iPad, Hell, i use use my iPod for everything and it's morsel by comparison.

It really WILL take VW to the next level, if Desktop VW first catches up with the hardware. Multi Processors have been around for far to long now for any excuses.

One thing at a time, in the correct order . . . . . .

:)

Edited by AndiACD

I just thought I would add a comment from a fairly niche industry that Vectorworks caters to.

In entertainment lighting just about everyone is making an ipad/iphone app. So much so that its convince me to get an ipad (I dont particularly like apple but I can't argue with the apps out there that apply to lighting.) It would be fantastic to have a simple viewer that I can pull out of my pocket any time (because I always have my phone with me) and take a simple measurement that I didn't dimension by accident. I'm actually currently using AutoCadWS to do exactly this but its clumsy and requires me to convert my files to a DWG and upload them to a server somewhere.

Even better a program that can interact with lightwright touch. I would love to go in to hang a show with a printed plot, some hang cards and an ipad. No more figuring out my scribbles after the fact. If a light has to move two feet because of some structural obstruction I could update that right there on the ipad, while walking around.

Just my 2 cents.