Vectorworks for iPad

Christiaan

Question

So, I'd like Vectorworks for application for the iPad. I can imagine it being very useful as a site tool.

Open a model directly from a server over cellular internet connection (or sync before leaving office), view model in various forms, add notes and maybe even some analysis tools that can create information on the fly, etc.

Low priority of course but a wish none the less.

• Like 1

just imagine all the bugs you would have to deal with if VW was rewritten for the ipad, not worth thinking about! plus, you would be in danger of throwing the ipad when you get enraged by these bugs!!! i find it hard to throw my mac pro at the moment, but i do feel like it sometimes.

never mind, im sure you run VW seamlessly every day with no bugs/problems occuring on your current platform. im sure it will be amazing if, as you wish, it is rewritten for a new OS!

i would rather VW is improved as it stands, as the vast majority of users sit on their arse in front of a screen to do their work, not wander around a site with an ipad.

Antoni, that's my point exactly! VW is loaded with problems. When it does work it's great, but there are loads of aspects that need sorting.

A ground up build for the iPad would give the "Scribes" an opportunity to look at everything with fresh eyes. Starting from scratch giving them a chance to iron out all of the hickups and help stop VW tripping over it's own boot laces.

Nothing that is going to happen over night, but a clean bill of health is seldom a bad thing, is it?

:)

@Richard

I saw a lot of knee-jerk reaction like this when the iPad was announced, but frankly, as people have realised the enormous potential of this device, the only people still saying this are Apple haters or those who simply fail to understand the product.

As availability of the iPad approaches I've been looking into the apps that are currently on the app store to see what we might expect from developers. I mentioned Autodesk earlier in this thread and they already have a powerful iPhone app called SketchBook Mobile - have a look at:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=13872203

Now imagine this product on a 10 inch screen, with a capacitive stylus like the Pogo stylus (http://www.tenonedesign.com/sketch.php). Or imagine a similar app where in a meeting you bring up a PDF building detail and sketch right over it, then email it off there and then. A tablet is so much more collaborative than a laptop.

This is just one example. A cheap, light, multi-touch tablet has so many uses it will sell in the millions.

Not EXACTLY what i had in mind Christiaan when I suggest "A Ground Up Rebuild", as there's already toooo many architecture biased CAD toys out there, :)

BUT, any starting point I suppose is a good one as long as an Engineering sibling (mechanical) gets equal oportunities from the ground up. . . . .

:)

Please.

Good piece on iPad software design:

http://mattgemmell.com/2010/03/05/ipad-application-design

The essence of the new opportunities on iPad is that this class of device is a natural home not just for the viewers and small utilities we?ve seen on our phones, but also for creators and editors as we see on desktop platforms

On the Mac and other desktop platforms, there?s a convention where we have globally-positioned editing UI. Common examples include floating inspector palettes, toolbars, menus, and status-bars. That won?t fly on the iPad, because it introduces a level of indirection between the editing action and the object being edited. It?s a touch-screen device; we should interact and edit directly.

any globally-positioned inspectors should nonetheless be contextual in terms of what editing UI they show. Don?t overload the user with irrelevant options; hide anything that doesn?t apply. If you?re editing text, show only text editing controls

Sounds better than desktop software to me.

That looks interesting.

Still, I'd LOVE Vectorworks Lite for my (soon to be delivered) iPad!

Something I could take on site. Markup a Vectorworks file or rough out a quick detail. THEN back in my office, sync it back to my Mac and work on it further.

A Vectorworks Viewer with some of the Vectorworks Architect annotation tools built-in would be fine... for now.

We absolutely need a viewing and mark up app for the iPad!

Punch lists, site visits, job meetings, goodness it would save my back from carrying a laptop everywhere! I hate creating PDF's of everything to take with me...

There are too many possibilities for this device to ignore it. I used it in two continuing eduction seminars to take notes, do research and hope to replace my laptop permanently for teaching. I have had one for a couple of weeks, and have used it all day and can't get the battery below 40%. Its insane. We just purchased 3 more yesterday... It will not replace any desktops, but it will improve our work flow with meetings and communication.