Import Autocad Hatches

I am a newbie to Vectorworks.

I have an extensive list of custom hatches that I used in Autocad and now need them in vectorworks.

Is there an easy way of importing and saving them to a hatch library?

I know I can apply a hatch to a shape in autocad and save as .dxf/.dwg, then import into vectorworks. I am allowed to edit/change the hatch and apply to other shapes, but I can't save it so that it is available for other drawings as a library.

Sorry if there is a simple answer, but I now have to paste the shape in photoshop, apply the hatch, then repaste into Vectorworks which is a horrible workflow.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Trying to understand your question, are you attempting to apply the hatch through the resource browser?

If so, you can add any file to the resource browser by clicking the small triangle at the upper right of the resource browser and choosing either Add Current to Favorites if the file is open or Add New Favorite Files... then navigating to the file.

You can also save the file here:

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Nemetschek\Vectorworks\2010\Libraries\Favorites

and it will be added to the resource browser.

• 3 months later...

Hello Ray:

attempting to apply the hatch through the resource browser...

I'm still on V11.5. on PC. Could you please tell me how I can take ACad hatch files I found and use them in Vectorworks?

1) Do I need to convert them?

2) what is the path(subdirectories) to store them?

3) what file extension?

Really appreciate your help,

cheers

Sidug

Hatches are contained in Vectorworks files, if you have imported a dwg file you can use the hatches in it. You can copy an object with the hatch from the Autocad file and paste it into your file and the hatch will come with it.

The resources you see in the Resource Browser are contained in files that are favorites, located in the Vectorworks folder in program files. Look in your manual or online help to learn more about the Resource Browser.

Hello Ray:

Thank you so much for your help. However I'm still a little confused.

I understand, and have used, the process of importing objects to the Resource Browser from other VW files, e.g symbols, worksheets, even hatches(inside the Hatch folder of another file, ready to fill an object, e.g brick in a rectangle).

What I'd to do is to find new hatches and embed it in my Hatch folder. I have found a dwg file called 'Field Stones', converted into a MCD, it is a bunch of polygons representing the pattern of field stones. Although it's not what I'm looking for I tried prcatising by 'Add Current To Favorites' & 'Add File To Favorites' but it dosen't show up in the Hatch folder. Where did it go?

My question is how can I turn it into a VW HATCH which can fill up an object no matter what it's shape and size, just like the brick hatch I mentioned before.

What I'm really looking for is clay tile roof & asphalt shingle hatches, among others.

Are the existing hatches that come with VW MCD files, or scripts? Where are they located?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sidug

You don't import objects into the Resource Browser, you point to the file and view the resources contained in the file. This includes hatches and symbols, but not primitive objects like rectangles, lines or polygons.

If the .dwg contains polygons representing the patterns you want but does not contain hatches you will not be able to use the Resource Browser to view them, and since they are not hatches use them as hatches.

Version 11.5 was a long time ago, so I'm guessing, but you should have a library of hatches in the Vectorworks folder located in Program Files. You can also look here to find some hatches, if they are in a version newer than yours you will not be able to open the files. If so post the file here and I'll save it back to version 11.5. Make sure you click on the link to older content.

http://www.vectordepot.com/

Ray:

Thank you so much. I found a lot of good hatches from that site. I'll keep your offer of converting as rain cheque though! :-)

ps I love the image, or avatar or whatever they call it under your name. Is that really you napping?

cheers

Sidug