Backup Failure

I have a recurring problem with one of my files when I try to back it up. Everything works fine for a day or so and then, when I'm prompted to back up the file and click yes, I get a VW message "Internal Error - general failure encountered during disk I/O operation (failure on attempt to open file)". I end up going back into the most recent of my saved daily copies of the file, duplicate that saved file and begin using that as a new base file. This works fine for a day or so, and then the same backup problem starts again. Any suggestions? I'm way too far along on this project to start over with a brand new file.

How much free space do you have on the drive? What are the permissions on the folder you are saving to?

When I have seen something like this before it was trying to backup to a non-existant location. Are you changing file or folder names?

I use a single folder in my Documents folder to store all of my backups, have it set to keep the last 12 backups, backup every 5 minutes, and backup without asking.