Plant Name Tags

J Hank

Hi, totally new to community board so hope this is correct. I recently updated to 2010. After doing so I am editing a planting plan that was created in 2009. When I creat a new plant mass and have the Hexagon plant callout preference there is no longer a visible hexagon around the callout. The tag class is on and everything, and there is an orange 'ghost' when I linger over the area where it should be. I've even tried the eyedropper to match the others that are correct. Has anyone else had problems with this?

Guest Ben Atwood

I've seen this problem before, but it seems like you have also tried the workaround that has worked for me; using the eyedropper. Can you verify that you have Pen Attributes and Line Attributes selected in the Eyedropper Preferences dialog? Did you try eyedroppering from a plain rectangle instead of another plant?

If you're still having the problem, can you copy the plant into a blank file and post it here? Or you can report a bug; there is already a report for this particular issue, but if the eyedropper does not fix it, it may be different.

This problems with Plants and / or parts of their geometry not showing up has been around IMO since VW 2008

My 'work around' is

NEVER EVER EVER work on a file created in a previous VW version using Plants

Sorry to be blunt

Edited by Ozzie
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for your feedback. I actually got an answer from someone at Vectorworks telling me that what is happening is a 'bug' that is being worked out. In the meantime, this is what he said is a quick fix:

"With the labels that are not cooperating, select them (try one by one at first...doing a bunch may make Vw crash...so save often as you do this). With the labels selected, in the bottom of the attribute palette, click on the down facing arrow...it will pull up a menu starting with use default attributes...choose this, and almost instantly, you will see the geometry of the labels show up again."

SO helpful considering I had a 15 page Bid Set due the next day!

I actually got an answer from someone at Vectorworks telling me that what is happening is a 'bug' that is being worked out

three versions of VW workout that is - maybe more

SO helpful considering I had a 15 page Bid Set due the next day!

hope next time you open the file it has not happened again

this is not acceptable

I have very regularly opened files in VW 2010 that were drawn in VW 2009 where plant geometry has been missing

this happened in VW 2008 and 2009

c'mon that is three years now

and my feeling - no one really cares