Workgroup References

Siva

Hi,

I am new to vecorworks and want to know just how to Reference a file. I have a plan, i want to insert it into a site plan. I have opened the site plan and referenced it in the Organization window, but the plan does not show up on screen of in the resource browser.

Is there a tutorial out there because the manual is CRAP!

Thanks,

Tricky to answer w/o knowing your vintage and version of VW...

But, assuming you have 2010 Architect....

Try this in a new drawing so you can see how it works.

1. View>Create Viewport...

2. In the Create on Layer pulldown choose New Design Layer

3. Name the new layer if you want, and click OK

4. If you had box checked for it and the Edit Design Layers dialog box opens, click OK

5. Click on Select Source...

6. In the Select Viewport Source dialog box, select External Document.

7. Select New Reference

8. Click Choose>Navigate to the source document> click Open

9. Back at the Select Viewport Source dialog box click OK

10. In the Create Viewport Dialog box you can choose the layer and class visibility now or just click OK and deal with it later.

11. The drawing will appear on the new design layer in a viewport. Select it and you will notice that you have control over the layer and class visibility from the OIP of the viewport.

The scale, render mode, and view of the referenced drawing is controlled by the scale, render and view setting for the design layer it lives in.

The old style resource referencing looks like it is still an option, but I haven't been able to make it work.

But it sounds like for your case you want to reference the geometry and not the resources.

hth

michaelk

Yeah.. I probably could have made it work in fewer steps.

Once you have it created, you can duplicate it and change the layer options in the duplicate.

For example, if you create the reference for the first floor, you can duplicate the viewport and in the duplicate set the first floor layer to invisible and the second floor layer to visible.

No need to go through the 11 steps again!

michaelk

PS. Has anyone been able to do an old style Resource reference in 2010? I can't get it to work.