Rotating multiple fixtures on their own axis (AutoCAD plan conversion)

Cookie_NZ

Greetings all,

I'm converting a lighting plan which has been drawn in AutoCAD into VW. The easiest way I've found to turn the imported AutoCAD fixture symbols into VW instruments is to use the "Convert To Instrument" command, then use the "Replace Instruments" command. Unfortunately the AutoCAD symbols were drawn at 90? to the VW instruments. So they all end up pointing 90? out from where they should.

Is there a way of rotating a selection of instruments on their own axis? (i.e original rotation + 90?)

Also am I going about is the most efficient way? Open to suggestions.

Cheers,

Cookie

Two ways:

Right click the symbol in the Resource Browser. Choose 2D. Select All. Modify>Rotate>Rotate 90?......>Exit Symbol. If the symbol is also in 3D do the same for the 3D part.

OR

Select all of the instrument symbols in the drawing and enter 90 (or -90) in the rotation field of the OIP.

hth

michaelk

Ta for the reply Michael,

The suggestion of editing the symbol does work. Unfortunately it means making all new label legends, as my current set don't line up properly with the symbols once they're rotated 90?. While that's not the end of the world, it's a bit tedious as it means I'll need to rotate all instrument symbols I use in the drawing by 90? to save having to use multiple sets of label legends for rotated/non-rotated instruments.

The second option of selecting all instruments and changing their rotation to 90? in the OIP makes all selected instruments point to the left of the page. (As you would expect with a hard value of 90?)

What I was hoping for was a way of adding 90? to the rotation of all instruments. Thereby using the original rotations from the AutoCAD drawing, but correcting the offset.

Cheers,

Cookie

Ahhh, that makes sense.

I guess the quickest solution is to select all the instruments with the same rotation, ie all the units facing south on the page, click into the rotation field on the OIP and add "+90" behind the value that is there.

I don't remember if 2008 has a custom select tool that will let you do that...

Then you will have to be careful to not select any of the same units twice, thereby rotating them 180 degrees....

Perhaps this will work:

-Select all the units facing "south" It's important the they have the same rotation in the OIP

-Click into the rotation field, add +90 behind the value that is there

-While they are still selected, move them into a temporary layer so they won't get selected again.

-When you run out of lights to rotate, move all the units back from the temporary layer.

hth