2 report questions

2 questions for worksheet/report gurus:

1. Is an OR allowed in a report?

For example this will count the objects in question on one layer:

=COUNT(((L='Some Layer') & ('Plug In type'.'Field Name'='Field Value')))

If one wanted to count the total of the objects meeting the criteria on 2 layers is there a way to do this:

=COUNT(((L='Some Layer') OR (L='Some Other Layer') & ('Plug In type'.'Field Name'='Field Value')))

[That doesn't work. Is there a syntax thing I'm missing?]

I'm currently resorting to

=COUNT(((L='Some Layer') & ('Plug In type'.'Field Name'='Field Value'))) + COUNT(((L='Some Other Layer') & ('Plug In type'.'Field Name'='Field Value')))

Which brings me to ...

2. Is there a way to get the formula field at the top of the worksheet/report window to wrap? Once the formulas get long they get difficult to edit.

Thanks in advance

michaelk

Michael,

A Vertical Pipe character | is a logical or in worksheets.

If you put two criteria with the same category in a criteria dialog box it will generate an OR (and if you look at the formula bar after you click OK to the criteria you will see the pipe character.

For your count, the following should work. Make sure you get your parens correct.

=COUNT((((L='Some Layer') | (L='Some Other Layer')) & ('Plug In type'.'Field Name'='Field Value')))

I don't know of a way to get the formula bar to wrap.

Thanks, Pat!

Have you ever tried referencing another worksheet to fill in layer or field value names?

ie, in the above example:

=COUNT(((L='Ref Worksheet:A2') | (L='Ref Worksheet:A2')) & ('Plug In Type'.'Field Name'='Ref Worksheet:B1')))

I know that syntax doesn't work, but is there a way to do it?

michaelk

Hmmmmm

"|" is producing unexpected results...

I know there are 18 objects in Layer1 and 0 objects in Layer2.

=COUNT(((L='Layer1') & ('Plug In type'.'Field Name'='Field Value'))) + COUNT(((L='Layer2') & ('Plug In type'.'Field Name'='Field Value')))

returns a value of 18

=COUNT(((L='Layer1') | (L='Layer2') & ('Plug In type'.'Field Name'='Field Value')))

returns a value of 130

Confused...

michaelk

Hmmmmm

"|" is producing unexpected results...

I know there are 18 objects in Layer1 and 0 objects in Layer2.

=COUNT(((L='Layer1') & ('Plug In type'.'Field Name'='Field Value'))) + COUNT(((L='Layer2') & ('Plug In type'.'Field Name'='Field Value')))

returns a value of 18

Yep. If your counts are correct that is what is should be doing.

=COUNT(((L='Layer1') | (L='Layer2') & ('Plug In type'.'Field Name'='Field Value')))

returns a value of 130

I told you watch your parentheses.

What your formula is saying is:

return the count of all the objects whose Layer is Layer 1 or whose Layer is Layer 2 and have a Field Value.

I think what you want is:

=COUNT((((L='Layer1') | (L='Layer2')) & ('Plug In type'.'Field Name'='Field Value')))

You need to use the parens to group the Layer 1 and Layer 2 parts into a single logical statement. Translated to words the above says

return the count of all the objects on Layer1 or Layer 2 with Field Value.

See the difference?

Michael,

If you put two criteria with the same category in a criteria dialog box it will generate an OR (and if you look at the formula bar after you click OK to the criteria you will see the pipe character.

In v2010, the OR operator will indeed be used when a search is done on "type". But "layer" and "class" being the first choice, the formula will use the AND operator - unless I miss something.