Multiple users on one project!

I am hoping this is an easy question for everyone.

Issue: I want to have a master file that is the building. Then i want to be able to reference this file to a plot sheet, and auto generate sections and elevations. Stair drawings, special details, from plan/elevation/detail.

This is so that a person can work on the plans while another person works on sections and and another elevations.

Or Is there another way to do this, that i am unaware of.

Also. We try to have everything bim, and little on the 2d side.

Help.

Also just upgraded from 2009 to 2010.

Paul.

I use work group references all the Time. I am having trouble Work group referencing the Bim model, into a elevation sheet, and auto generating the elevations, so someone else can complete the elevations. I guess i was hoping someone had a better way to work on a Bim File. Like a Job, that shows the suggested drawing file structure, when working in an office with multiple people.

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda odd not having first floor second floor, and third or roof in one file.Plus, they reference everything into one master file to print, is that were all annotation would go for elevations and sections? Weird to go back to one file, so only one person can work on it.

Does anyone use the auto generate sections and elevations?

Seems like you need to do 2d drafting work over it, to have them look like good 2d drawings.

I guess what i am looking for is a file structure for a job. A suggested way for multiple users to work on a project that is BIM. Maybe it is not possible yet in VW.

We use this program, and are not changing anytime soon, so want to work as efficient as possible, while still creating good quality drawings. In all aspects of the design process. SD to CD's.

Appreciate any insight and help

Paul,

Check out the Ellicott Heights PDFs at the web page that Christiaan linked to above. The White paper gives an explanation of why and how the file structure was set up, using referencing to create a BIM and come together in a single file for building elevations and sections.

After you've taken a look at these materials, I'd be more than happy to discuss this with you further.

The inherent problem of Referencing is that it lacks flexibility and inevitably requires compromises. You also only get one go at deciding the project structure and getting the 'carve up' right. If you don't get it right and/or there are changed project needs it can cause a lot of headaches.

A single database system where the work portions could be varied on a needs basis would be much more practical and effective.