Better dwg compatibility!!

VincentCuclair

Question

Can we please, please, PLEASE have an option for Bylayer export to dwg!! As well as Paperspace with Viewports containing referenced model files from our Sheetlayer with Viewports!!! These are very basic standard setups used in AutoCAD and all parties using AutoCAD we are involved with receiving files from us ask for these settings..........!

Edited by Vincent C

12 answers to this question

I don't know if brudgers will be able to respond.

I think what he meant is to figure out what you want in AutoCAD and then figure out how to use VW to produce that. Versus drawing the way you want in VW and then fighting to get something that will work in AC.

For the short term, that is really the only option if teh DWG output is not providing what you want/need.

Thanks Pat, I think however what he means is that I export to dwg using the tools we have in VW then edit the dwg in AC to what the other parties want, unfortunately this is not good enough......especially when it comes to Bylayer in dwg.

This is probably equivalent (theoretically) to a dwg export file from AC to VW in which all dwg classes merged to one single class in the VW file.........we would not be amused as VW users if this was the case.....right!?

Edited by Vincent C
odd thing ... VW promotes its' superior file organization capabilities ( Layers, Classes,Hybrid Symbols, Referencing,worksheets,PIO ) & presentation ( Sheets ) flexibility,

but still stumbles when translating them into generic DWG !

Oh, all that is quite true and it probably is superior if not equal to what most other apps do, but unfortunately not when it comes to these issues........

VW ... stumbles when translating them into generic DWG!

VW does need better DWG compatibility.

Currently, the only way to get "good" DWG files is to use VW as if it was ACAD - drawing with lines instead of shapes AND not using any PIOs. Unfortunately, that completely negates the benefits of using VW in the first place.

I really don't understand why we can't get simple, 2d LINE drawings straight from sheet layers. I just need to be able to send clean backgrounds to engineers.

I really don't understand why we can't get simple, 2d LINE drawings straight from sheet layers. I just need to be able to send clean backgrounds to engineers.

This is a critical need that simply has to be met as many users still collaborate with consultants via 2D DWG drawings because that is what those consultants want from them.

Currently that is not totally possible from model derived Sheet Layers because of the way those Sheet Layers export to DWG. That leaves those using a 3D model workflow and needing to collaborate via 2D DWG drawings with a compromised and incomplete workflow.

All workflows need to be catered for not just 3D to 3D or 2D to 2D. 3D to 2D needs to be possible as well and that means being able to provide 2D DWG drawings from model derived plans, elevations, sections etc on Sheet Layers.

If that can't be done then the alternative of being able to generate model derived plans, elevations, sections etc on Design Layers needs to be implemented. Personally I would prefer the latter solution because that would remove the 'time hog' of Viewport updating

Guest benrudgers
Can we please, please, PLEASE have an option for Bylayer export to dwg!! As well as Paperspace with Viewports containing referenced model files from our Sheetlayer with Viewports!!! These are very basic standard setups used in AutoCAD and all parties using AutoCAD we are involved with receiving files from us ask for these settings..........!

Vectorworks objects which have their attributes set to "byclass" will export to autoCad with the corresponding properties set to "bylayer" if you export Vectorworks classes to layers.

Alternately, you could export to DXF and process the text file relatively easily without using Autocad.

Currently that is not totally possible from model derived Sheet Layers because of the way those Sheet Layers export to DWG. That leaves those using a 3D model workflow and needing to collaborate via 2D DWG drawings with a compromised and incomplete workflow.

All workflows need to be catered for not just 3D to 3D or 2D to 2D. 3D to 2D needs to be possible as well and that means being able to provide 2D DWG drawings from model derived plans, elevations, sections etc on Sheet Layers.

Well said Mike.

I'd also like to add that we should have a feature that prevents the creation of referenced files when exporting by merging the various layers of geometry. If you have DLVP and different layers in VW it creates XRefs when exporting to dwg.

Before I give my $200 worth(yes I know 2c is the norm) let me apologise for repeating myself, again.

When we look at the Parasolids heart and how remarkably well it works in the related 3D/2D space in other packages. Draw in one and as if by magic a dimensioned copy appears in the other . . . . .

If NNA could stop investing in the current VW's bells and whistles enigma and throw everhing into a fresh start with "Ground Up Rebuild" keeping everything in the GUI that now works, as it is and including all of the "For as long as I can remember" desires of the Users built into the foundation of the software.

Sorry for boring the pants off you all yet again.

;)

Edited by AndiACD