Roof Basics

JSiegel

Hi All,

I am new to the "Create Roof" tool and have been drawing rectangles & creating roofs with some success. I have a condition with a stair tower at a 10'-0" plate, punching thru the main hip roof down at an 8'-0" plate. How can I simply subtract the stair tower volume without turning the main roof into a "solid subtraction"... better yet, what is the best way to construct this roof?

Thanks, Jeremy

Peter, I ungrouped the roof and did my solid subtraction & got the desired result. (See Attached) As for editing an individual roof face, when in edit mode, the base walls disappear to the white screen, so not sure how to use that command yet??

If I want to drop a plate height to say 7'-0" on (1) wall how is this accomplished. Additionally, when I "Create Roofs" they jump to some arbitrary Z-height location. Where is this controlled? TY Jeremy

1) Using Subtract Solids results in a loss of any parametric functionality. Much better to use "Clip Surface" - then you still have a "Roof Face" (as opposed to just a solid).

2) Make sure that you have the preference "Show Other Objects While in Editing Modes" toggled "ON" in the VW Prefs/Display...

3) You can always use a polygon with "Cut & Paste in Place" to define the line of the walls (in another layer)...

4) To modify one face/side of a Roof Object, click (with the Hand Cursor) on the Selection Handle for that particular side. A dialog will come up allowing you to adjust Pitch, Bearing Height, etc...

HTH's

I am trying to learn roofs right now also and have a similar issue. I drew my roof faces on the Mod-Roof layer with the layer Z set to 17'-4". After drawing the sections, I have decided the entire layer needs to drop 12". I reset the Mod-Roof layer to 16'-4" assuming that entire layer would move down 12", but it didn't. What gives?

The Z height is controlled by the "Bearing Height" when you use the create roof command. The Z problem could also be related to the Z setting for the layer you have created the roof in. If you are assembling your 3D model with viewports, and the roof is way out of whack it is probably the Z setting of your roof layer.

When you create new layers VW will reference the previous layer's delta Z in setting the new layer Z setting. This can throw things off if you don't realize what's going on.