Quick 2D Elevations

JSiegel

Hi All,

What is the easiest way to create quick 2D elevations generated from the 3D model? I had created a viewport of a "side elevation" and placed it in a design layer. I then selected "convert to lines" & this converted the model to lines. This is not what I want to do. I would like to use the 3D model for massing/window/door locations & then draw over the top "old school" in a design layer, not a sheet layer viewport.

Thanks,

Jeremy

The viewport's object info palette does have a "2D elevation" dropdown, for front, back and side elevations. It also has 2D plan view, and top view.

The quickest way to make extra elevations is to duplicate the first viewport, and simply change the pulldown setting on the OIP.

And viewports can be on design layers.

Edited by Bob-H

Bob, not finding a "2D elevation" dropdown in the OIP of a given viewport. I know I can change the "current view" of a viewport & copy viewports on a Design Layer to view all sides. What I would like to then do is "Convert Copy to Polygons or Lines" the individual elevation views without destroying the model.

This is simply to be used as a headstart for 2D elevations as my 3D model is not 100% accurate (I need to draw the roofs, trim, rafter tails, etc..) in 2D. Any help is greatly appreciated. TY Jeremy

Bob, not finding a "2D elevation" dropdown in the OIP of a given viewport. I know I can change the "current view" of a viewport & copy viewports on a Design Layer to view all sides. What I would like to then do is "Convert Copy to Polygons or Lines" the individual elevation views without destroying the model.

Sorry - I was thinking of the Sheet Layer Viewports.

It looks like those Design Layer Viewports work best when each one has its own layer. Then just change the view of each elevation layer. But then that screws up the Unified View model concept. It might be easier to make the Sheet Layer Viewports, convert copy it to lines, move it to a design layer, then scale it (48 for quarter inch scale, etc.).

I've done a great deal of 2D drawing with masking polygons and linework in the annotation layer of Sheet Layer viewports. This is the best way of keeping the model intact, while using it as the background of a 2D drawing. Then if the model gets changed, so do the elevation viewports. And then you can brag to everyone that you're practicing BIM!

Edited by Bob-H