Orso's Generic Hatches (diagonals, dashed diagonals, verticals...)

Here you find many hatches for common usage.

Most of them are script-generated and cover schematic needs. Typically they aren't descriptive hatches, their target is the DIN-conform drawing standards (Germany or generic Europe as UNI). I use them since many years.

Some of the hatches are descriptive and their author is not me, but other VW colleagues. I am sorry to be unable to quote the authors properly, but will gladly do it anytime, upon short notice.

For better sharing I store them here as VW12 files, but they will work up to the latest VW version (currently VW15).

Please mind that the hatches are named according to their behavior:

"W" = rotate in wall

"S" = rotate in symbol

"No B" = no background

The naming also gives hints to their size.

For example:

a hatch named "Cross 004" will draw crossing lines with a distance of 40mm.

a hatch named "Cross 004 W" will draw the same pattern, but will rotate in walls.

a hatch named "Cross 004 W no B" will do the same but won't have a background.

Download: Orso's Hatches VW12

List of files:

Orso- Hatches Wood Grain v12.mcd

Orso- Hatches Vert WS v12.mcd

Orso- Hatches Vert W No B v12.mcd

Orso- Hatches Vert W v12.mcd

Orso- Hatches Vert v12.mcd

Orso- Hatches Utility v12.mcd

Orso- Hatches Roof Detail v12.mcd

Orso- Hatches Stone Detail v12.mcd

Orso- Hatches Oriz v12.mcd

Orso- Hatches Oriz WS v12.mcd

Orso- Hatches Oriz W No B v12.mcd

Orso- Hatches Oriz W v12.mcd

Orso- Hatches Fliesen v12.mcd

Orso- Hatches Hex v12.mcd

Orso- Hatches Diagonal Left v12.mcd

Orso- Hatches Diagonal Right v12.mcd

Orso- Hatches Diverse v12.mcd

Orso- Hatches Dash Diag Right v12.mcd

Orso- Hatches Dash Diag Left v12.mcd

Orso- Hatches Cross W v12.mcd

Orso- Hatches Cross v12.mcd

Orso- Hatches ANSI v12.mcd

Orso- Hatches ACAD v12.mcd

What is Moby, Michaelk?

You can create hatches as you please using Vectorscript, but not edit their levels afterwards, still using Vectorscript.

There is no VS access to the hatch levels, only to some properties of the hatch object (resource).

orso

Moby is one of the hatches you posted in Orso- ACAD v12. I can't imagine how you would write a VS to create a hatch of that!

I know you're a VS guru. But can you explain to a mere mortal how you use VS to create a hatch?

I find the hatch editor to be really difficult and frustrating.

michaelk

NO! LOL!

That hatch is collected somewhere. As I said I only scripted the non-descriptive hatches, such as vertical, horizontal..... :)

I might know how to create a hatch (it takes a very simply process in VS that even me can master) but I am truly impaired in vector math. My field of VS is rather databases, resource batch operations and similar easy things.

Michael, if you find the hatch editor frustrating, you should give a go to scripting them. The vector math needed is scary already for the simplest hatch.

The problem of the hatch editor, in my personal opinion, is that it reflects exactly the vector math needed.

This on one side speaks for the quality of NNA programmers, who apparently deal with extremely complex math without feeling any problem and develop thus a vector-based interface for us to edit these hatches, but not to ease up their calculation.

I spent an unreasonable amount of time in studying hatches in ACAD. Their storage format reflects a more user-friendly approach (relative).

I wish we could have something similar.

orso

But can you explain to a mere mortal how you use VS to create a hatch?

michaelk

Please search in the VS documentation "BeginVectorFillN". There you find a simple example of how to create a hatch using VS.

Then you have to define mathematically your levels, there you might find comfortable to use some of the basic math sub-routines that we have on VectorLab. Please see Math sub-routines

orso

I'd love to give VS a try. I've tried to teach myself a few times, but it has been many years since I wrote any code. I learned PASCAL in college but it wasn't the language I used most... Handles mystify me a little.

I wish we could use an interface similar to the Tile... command in Architect and Landmark to create hatches. That seems much more intuitive, but it doesn't allow for associative connections to geometry.

michaelk

I'd love to give VS a try. I've tried to teach myself a few times, but it has been many years since I wrote any code. I learned PASCAL in college but it wasn't the language I used most... Handles mystify me a little.

Without speaking geek language, you just imagine "handles" as "objects". So look:

* you wish to create some text on drawing, for example "I love VS":

--> the content of the text, "I love VS", will be a STRING

--> when you create the text object on drawing this object will be a HANDLE.

You must imagine that everything you have in a drawing has some ordered place. Is indexed, to be manipulated. The handle is nothing else that a long long number identifying your object in the document.

wish we could use an interface similar to the Tile... command in Architect and Landmark to create hatches. That seems much more intuitive, but it doesn't allow for associative connections to geometry.

Yes, that would be lovely. Actually if we had more access to hatches in VS it wouldn't be difficult to create such an interface. But at the current state of things this can only be done with the SDK (C++). All we could do now with VS is to make an interface that creates hatches, but wouldn't allow to edit them!

orso

Another way to think about handles is that you have your own reference librarian who has to do all the touching of the valuable books that you are researching in.

The Handle is the Dewey Decimal number that lets the librarian find the "book" you want to do something to.

But you never need to know exactly what the number is. The librarian will find it for you and then get the object for you to manipulate. You just have to tell him something about where the object (book) is.

FSActLayer (the first selected object on the active layer)

LActLayer (the last object on the active layer)

NextObj (the object in the stacking order immediately after the object you are currently handling)

PrevObj (the object in the stacking order immediately before ....)

And about 20 or so other options.

When you are ready to play with this, give me a call and we can chat about it.

• 8 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...