Dimensions do not add up ....???

Happy New Year to all!

This is my first post and yes I have done a search :)

I have done both auto dimension and manually dim'd the outside walls and the result is the same. The numbers are wrong!

Help would sure be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

PS ...how does one attach an image?

.... VW 2009 (SP 5), Mac, Leopard (not Snow Leopard)

Edited by Canucklehead

Check very carefully (by zooming in) that all of your dimensions are in fact snapped to the desired location(s). Also check to see what their tolerance setting are (eg: 1/8"; 1/4"; 1/2", etc.)

I have found that it pays to be very very accurate in both drafting/modeling and placement of dimensions otherwise odd results (like your attachment) can occur.

I used to set dimension tolerances to 1/8", and it got me in trouble -- the overall length tended to differ from the sum of the string. The problem is the tolerance values in the dimensions rounded themselves above the actual length -- i.e., 15/16" rounds up to 1".

It is probably better to set the tolerances to 1/16" maximum, in order to keep the dimension values honest.

I am anxious to get the newer Vw Architect 2010 -- changing values on dimensions will move and resize the associated walls.

Sigh.

Is there a force of nature in force in Northern America (but nowhere else), forcing people to use non-standard dimensioning standards?

Use the millimeter, Luke, use the millimeter ? and all your troubles seem so far away!

Notwithstanding, it would be nice to have an option in chain dimensions to show the total.

(Useful only if one could add & delete parts of a chain dimension, which currently is a purely cosmetic feature. Well, it is a VW feature after all!)