Wishes for VW 2011

Ozzie

Question

We really need - A Legend Building PIO - maybe as an addition to the General Notes tool where you have a symbol or whatever on one side and descriptive text on the other

And people may or may not agree with this one - a Master Viewport

Example - a big job the same VP on 11 Sheets which was my Legend -

all already placed - Had to add an additional Legend item on my Design Layer so individually had to adjust crop size for my Legend on 11 Sheets

Master Viewport adjust one adjusts all

A scroll bar on the Plant Tool Plant list also

21 answers to this question

Including yours truly.

I have scripts that generate lists of legendary candidates, but there's a long and winding road from those to become a true legend.

This is, BTW, another case for a need of a ?reverse? parts-assembly -solution.

Should VW be a genuine object-oriented system, it wouldn't be particularly hard. Pity it isn't.

Seems to me we have Title block tools and other things - Legends for some are very important

VW is so good at 2D drawing - a Legend tool of some sort is a MUST

So too I think would be 'Master Viewports' - I mentioned them as a wish maybe 15 months back

A scoll bar on the plant list in the Plant Tool is a no brainer and should have been part of VW 2010

Little question also - when will NNA lock down what is going into VW 2011?

Example - a big job the same VP on 11 Sheets which was my Legend - all already placed - Had to add an additional Legend item on my Design Layer so individually had to adjust crop size for my Legend on 11 Sheets

Why the need to crop the legend? The VP will adjust to the boundaries of the legend if left uncropped. If you make any changes to the design layer, the VP will also adjust but I do not remember off hand if you need to click on "update" to show the changes.

The Legend is a series of Symbols on a Design Layer scaled at 1 to 100 with lots of other stuff on that Layer

The Symbols do not have to be different printed sizes on different sheets

Why the need to crop the legend? The VP will adjust to the boundaries of the legend if left uncropped. If you make any changes to the design layer, the VP will also adjust but I do not remember off hand if you need to click on "update" to show the changes.[/Quote]

Did not think off that so a Layer just for Legend would work

I still though think we need a tool to create Legends

The Legend is a series of Symbols on a Design Layer scaled at 1 to 100 with lots of other stuff on that Layer

The Symbols do not have to be different printed sizes on different sheets

Did not think off that so a Layer just for Legend would work

I still though think we need a tool to create Legends

A separate file which was referenced with a design layer viewport (on it's own layer) would allow you to use a standard legend across multiple projects, multiple machines and multiple users.

It could even be drawn 1:1 (as is proper for annotation).

Normally the legend and symbols will be the same size on each sheet layer. But if your symbols are drawn to a scale for use in design layers (1:480 in my case), you cannot use the same symbol in a sheet layer which has a 1:1 scale.

You can create a 1:1 legend symbol as you suggested but will need to convert the symbols to group and scale them to 1:1. Then if you change a symbol, you will need to update the legend by converting and scaling the symbol again.

By using a VP, you can edit the legend in the design layer without converting or scaling and changes appear immediately on each sheet layer.

A separate file which was referenced with a design layer viewport (on it's own layer) would allow you to use a standard legend across multiple projects, multiple machines and multiple users.[/Quote]

I know that but it is not a standard legend - it changes project to project

By using a VP, you can edit the legend in the design layer without converting or scaling and changes appear immediately on each sheet layer[/Quote]

That is exactly what I do

Please explain more about what you would like the legend tool to do[/Quote]

Pat,

I thought it could be an add on to or similar to the General Notes Tool where you could store text and reuse it in say one column to the right and to the left insert a symbol that was Classed to pick up attributes etc

This could be a rectangle, square, line, graphic, circle - what ever that would give a visual description of what the text was describing

Lots of people use Legends to show lots of things - just thinking about automating the process where you can store things a little

All of mine are Symbols and I have lots of them with loci in them to make them easier to line up etc

I would like to see vectorworks 2011, with solution for

A)flicker free wheel zoom's and mouse pan.thats a big one :P

B)- Option to create multiple Fill's one upon the other in hatch create panel, like a layer system and save them together for a composite hatch,like mixing hatch with a solid in other color.

For Landmark, the major updates wishes consist in :

1)Revamped Irrigation Tools, not only intelegent symbols(you know it xD)

2)Site model materials, so we can assign road Fill,curb and land fill,etc so as we do a section the drawing appears with corrected Fill/lines so dont need to do postwork on drawing, like now.

Being a major issue if we change site model the section need post work again (smooth site work/sections i mean, so we can work better from our 3d model)

Getting a clean section will make vectoworks shine xD

3)Transversal SLOPE in road design, for real non flat roads ones, appearing in sections :)

4)For someone who work with revisions with other civil or Arch teams(with other cad's sometimes), as you know when we export DWg/dxf,when the drawing come again to us,our objects just return as symbols not intelegent, and site usually became only lines. Maybe so we dont waste the 3d work maybe we need to add something done by other team to our vectorworks file (to still have our 3d model great), Create a something like Copy/paste BASEPPOINT, will save many headaches for quick work.

5) this one is a MAJOR, the possibility to create in libraries associate plants to the plan symbol and PLEASE the Section symbol, so as we do a section maybe some 2d tree section symbols work nicier than a 3d tree being watched from side i think .

6) With the above we will have a UBER app for Landscape Arch, and SIM with Vectorworks.

Great work from VWTeam improving on every release......

Sorry for my English.

Edited by Joaquim

I have two large requests.

64 bit native operation. I find it hard to swallow that I am going to take a speed reduction hit of 5% when I upgrade to my new 64bit system. I am sure you are working on it.

Second - Maxwell rendering plugin capability. I love RenderWorks for many things - but it lags far behind in some areas - most notably realistic renderings. T The plugin capability could be packaged with RenderWorks as to still encourage the sale of the product. I, for one, would still purchase it as my usual rendering style requires many overlays of different RenderWorks outputs.

Some clients want a more realistic look that I can not deliver in Renderworks - and I am forced to move to Rhino, which has a plugin that still allows modeling and texturing to happen inside the workspace. Exporting the VectorWorks model and re texturing inside a different program is a workflow killer.

I think you would see a fair bit of over the top amazing stuff coming out of VectorWorks models if it were a little friendlier other third party rendering software.

Its me again. On here for bi-yearly request for a Maxwell Render plugin. PLEASE!!!

Vectorworks now uses the Cinema 4D render kernel. Cinema 4D and All Plan have Maxwell plugins - why no Vectorworks?? I would at least like to hear the party line on why this has not been created.

It would make Vectorworks a MUCH more intriguing program to purchase. You are losing clients to Sketch-Up because the render quality you can achieve using the Sketch-Up Maxwell plugin surpasses what you can get out of Vectorworks.

It is long over-due.