move print area, seriously

So, it appears that this tool works not by "moving the print area," but by moving ALL the drawing elements relative to a fixed print area. Is this correct? If so, this tool should be accompanied by a lot or warnings, disclaimers, sirens, etc.

The use of the tool appears to break paste in place, workgroup referencing and probably several other things I have not yet discovered.

• 1 month later...

There's a thread -- one to which I replied -- in this forum somewhere that asks why the origins of different layers aren't aligned. In 8.5.2, if a layer's origin was off the print area centre, the origins of other layers would be offset a distance that was some multiple of the other layer's offset.

e.g. 1:1 vs. 1:10. The 1:1's origin would be offset from this point ten times the distance that the 1:10's origin would be.

As far as we know almost all of the origin/move page/workgroup referencing problems are fixed in 9.0.1. The one that was not fixed in 9.0.1 is quite rare and does not really match the description here (it is also fixed in 9.5).

If you do see a problem in the current release, let us know about it and we will get it fix.

Right now there are really two origins. One is the immovable center of the drawing world, and the other is the user-defined origin, which you move with the move origin tool. (At least that is my understanding of it) So when you have layers that are at a different scale, you have to take into account that the user origin itself is being measured as a discrete distance from the center of the drawing.

Matthew GiampapaTechnical Support

quote:

Originally posted by TiTaNiuM sAMuRai:
There's a thread -- one to which I replied -- in this forum somewhere that asks why the origins of different layers aren't aligned. In 8.5.2, if a layer's origin was off the print area centre, the origins of other layers would be offset a distance that was some multiple of the other layer's offset.e.g. 1:1 vs. 1:10. The 1:1's origin would be offset from this point ten times the distance that the 1:10's origin would be.

quote:

Originally posted by Matthew Giampapa:
Right now there are really two origins. One is the immovable center of the drawing world, and the other is the user-defined origin, which you move with the move origin tool. (At least that is my understanding of it) So when you have layers that are at a different scale, you have to take into account that the user origin itself is being measured as a discrete distance from the center of the drawing.

Matthew GiampapaTechnical Support

So, Matthew, some questions.

1) What do you mean by "take into account that the user origin itself is being measured as a discrete distance from the center of the drawing," when the word "distance" is ambiguous in this context -- it could mean "distance" in one of several different scales, or "distance" on the page. Also, what do you mean by "center of the drawing" -- is that center of the page (in which case, I don't understand what you mean at all), "center of the drawing world," or what?

2)What system is used to define the sheet extents, and how are layers of different scales aligned to that sheet boundary?

3)When you define a new (user) origin, is that now a layer-by-layer choice, or does it apply to every layer in the file? If the latter, how are layers of different scale affected?

[ 11-02-2001: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

I don't have the answer for question 2, but for 1 and 3...

The user origins for the layers are not independent. As far as I can tell, the user origin for each layer -- regardless of scale -- is a certain 'distance' -- the same distance in each case -- from the 'immovable centre of the world'. 'Distance' as used here is measured in units; since that same distance at different scales appears differently, the user origin will APPEAR in different locations on the page.

Setting the user origin in one layer affects the user origin of the other layers.