How to change visible classes in a viewport?

I've just upgraded to Vectorworks 2010 Architect and am learning how to use viewports. (I used Autocad for years and understand Xrefs and paper/model space). I've got two viewports drawn on a sheet layer. They are referencing an external file - a floor plan. I'd like one viewport to show the 1st floor and the other to show the 2nd floor. But I can't figure out how to change the layers specific for each viewport... Please help.

Thanks! That's helpful b/c I've been trying to figure it out for an hour now. However, how should I set up my drawings? I really prefer to have individual sheet files for each sheet that prints (ie, A01, A02, etc). These sheet files reference my plans, elevations, etc. But if I can't change the layers within the viewports, I can't control which floor plan I'm looking at. Any advice on how to set up the sheet files versus the drawing files? I'm floundering...

Lisa

You can put your reference on a design layer viewport. (set up the same way, but put into a design layer rather than a sheet layer.) The OIP of the design layer viewport will have controls for layer and class visibility of the reference.

Then make a sheet layer viewport of the layer with the DLVP

hth

michaelk

Thanks so much for the help! But this seems a little redundant... What is the best way to set up all my files? I feel like I'm trying to incorporate all the old ways of doing things but that's in conflict with the new system... Paper space vs model space. Sheet files vs drawing files. Do I keep all my drawings in one file? Plans, elevations, etc? Or do I break them up? I'm just a one woman office so I could keep them all in the same file... But I might be a two person office some day... I need a primer in file management...

Thanks so much for the help! But this seems a little redundant... What is the best way to set up all my files? I feel like I'm trying to incorporate all the old ways of doing things but that's in conflict with the new system... Paper space vs model space. Sheet files vs drawing files. Do I keep all my drawings in one file? Plans, elevations, etc? Or do I break them up? I'm just a one woman office so I could keep them all in the same file... But I might be a two person office some day... I need a primer in file management...

Unlearning years of autocad practice is difficult.

And there isn't anything comparable to references Paul Aubin's books for Autocad.

As for becoming a two person office, I'd recommend crossing that bridge when you get to it.

I typically will have separate reference files for Autocad imported stuff like buildng backgrounds and survey's from third parties.

It keeps all those classes and layers out of the way of my working drawings.

I will reference them on their own design layers as needed.

Unless the project becomes overly complex, I will keep everything else in a single file with automatic backups every 15 minutes and the last 24 backups saved.

Sound advice, brudgers: for once, we agree!

When importing AutoCAD-stuff, it is a good idea to include a class name prefix. Any reference files, when replaced, should be in the same location and have the same file name as the old versions; the same applies to current versions of work files. ?Save as?? should be used only when one knows what one is doing and even then only after a cup of non-instant coffee and a smoko (inhaling not compulsory.)