Plotting w/ MicroSpot

From time to time I use MicroSpot as well but I have never tried to plot upside down. I am responding to see why you wish to do so, and maybe there is some workaround we can figure out.

Many moons ago I was having to plot using something else and I had to flip my drawings over to get it to print w/ the borders coming out right. It was a pain with multi layered drawings so I don't suggest that.

Eric Tweed

Well I can't speak with any authority on MacPlot, but I would think that it would be a simple operation to simply rotate the entire VectorWorks drawing 180 degrees.

Matthew Giampapa

Technical Support

quote:

Originally posted by etweed:

From time to time I use MicroSpot as well but I have never tried to plot upside down. I am responding to see why you wish to do so, and maybe there is some workaround we can figure out.

Many moons ago I was having to plot using something else and I had to flip my drawings over to get it to print w/ the borders coming out right. It was a pain with multi layered drawings so I don't suggest that.

Eric Tweed

Just some commentary from me:

I plot 180d using the printer driver whenever I can because it pushes the printable image towards the right, leaving natural space for the binding strip. My setup, however, is an ol' reliable MacPlot HPGL v5.0/ VW8.5.2/ MacOS8.6. For prints with greyscale graphics I find that only MacPlot Raster works (not MacPlot HPGL), but unfortunately it does not have 180 degrees, as mentioned.

This is entirely within Page Setup, and since rotated text gets screwed up, among other things, and the same drawings need to go to other printers/drivers, rotating the entire VW drawing is out of the question. I suppose the hope is for the latest version of MacPlot HPGL (or its equivalent) to have the same 180d feature, remain fully compatible with the latest version of VW and the latest Mac operating system, as well as support the appropriate plotters. Four parties involved.

quote:

Originally posted by Archken:

I plot 180d using the printer driver whenever I can because it pushes the printable image towards the right, leaving natural space for the binding strip.[

This is exactly why we want to do it. With Microspot Raster if you set the page size narrower than the max printable width the plot gets pushed to one side. The reduced size we want is equal to twice the printable area for an 11x17 sheet printed on our Epson 1280. With this set up we can print half size sets by simply setting the print dialog to 50%. Unfortunately as it is all the extra margin appears on the title side of the page when plotted full size. Thus the desire to rotate. It does not appear that Microspot Raster has this capability, or the ability to adjust margins, both of which are commonplace among printer drivers. A real disappointment considering the cost.

Geoff Briggs

[This message has been edited by Geoff Briggs (edited 09-25-2001).]

I see the problem with this. There may be something else we can do in the driver window similar to the disable driver text rotation and special processing checkboxes.

I will enter a wish list item for it and ask if it is technically feasible.

Matthew Giampapa

Technical Support

quote:

I plot 180d using the printer driver whenever I can because it pushes the printable image towards the right, leaving natural space for the binding strip. My setup, however, is an ol' reliable MacPlot HPGL v5.0/ VW8.5.2/ MacOS8.6. For prints with greyscale graphics I find that only MacPlot Raster works (not MacPlot HPGL), but unfortunately it does not have 180 degrees, as mentioned.

This is entirely within Page Setup, and since rotated text gets screwed up, among other things, and the same drawings need to go to other printers/drivers, rotating the entire VW drawing is out of the question. I suppose the hope is for the latest version of MacPlot HPGL (or its equivalent) to have the same 180d feature, remain fully compatible with the latest version of VW and the latest Mac operating system, as well as support the appropriate plotters. Four parties involved.

quote:

i currently plot from VW9.01 to an HP750C thru mac plot 5.1.2. but were doing this fix for all previous versions of VW also.

on your drawing ensure that the right hand edge of the paper size (grey line) is positioned on the right edge of your titleblock. you obviously can't snap to this when you move your page but just eyeballing it works. then ensure that on the left side of your page ensure that you have what looks to be a sizeable strip of paper between the left edge of the titleblock and the edge of paper (grey line)

when you print this you will end up with a nice 1/2" strip of paper between you titleblock and edge of paper on the right side, and your set distance on the left side for binding.

the long and short of that is don't centre your drawing in the page but rather push the drawing to the far right of the page. if you set it up correctly and do a few test plots you can adjust the top and bottom lines of the titleblock to ensure you have equal amounts of paper past your titleblock on all three sides while still maintaing the binding strip.

if this makes sense, as i'm not sure i'm describing it clearly you'll never have to print 180 degree again.

alistair