Worksheet Tutorials?

Good afternoon!

Confession time: As long as I've been using VW, and as deeply as I've gone in some features, Worksheets aren't things I've delved into much at all. That being said, the usual Christmas/New Year's lull is just around the corner and I thought I'd take advantage of the time to do a little learning. Can one of you recommend a decent tutorial on Vectorworks' Worksheets? I've been to Archoncad's Web site and have seen their several options. Do any of you have any experience with their wares? If so, any comments? Are there other offerings available?

I'm not really looking for another manual. I'm more trying to get a better idea of what some of the possibilities are w. what I know to be a powerful part of VW.

Thanks!

since Andrew has asked specifically...

There is an introduction to worksheets in the Vectorworks Essentials Tutorial Manual, 2nd Edition, available at NNA, your local Vectorworks distributor and all good Vectorworks resellers:

http://www.nemetschek.net/training/guides.php

I have also produced two small tutorials, part of my short sharp manuals range:

http://www.archoncad.com/electronic-manuals.html

Introduction to worksheets, explains the basics of worksheets in a simple way with a few simple step-by-step exercises covering a calculating worksheet, a database report and counting things in an area.

Intermediate worksheets is not really for beginners of worksheets, it goes in to more detail, still using step-by-step instructions and loads of screen shots. There are several examples of worksheets:

Car Parking

Landscape Counting

Building Occupancy for Car Parking

Building Occupancy for Fire Calculations

Problems with Design Layer Viewports

Problems Counting More Than One Sort of Joist

Counting Site Areas (Impermeable Surface)

Counting Roof Areas for Downpipe Calculations

Bracing Calculations

Wall Area Scheduling for Quantities

Wall Areas for Insulation Calculations

Gents -

Thanks for the responses!

Ben - I don't have a copy of the architectural step-by-step manual.

Jeffrey - Thanks for the link. Interesting reading - and I really appreciate the detailed help you and others were giving.

Jonathan - The "short sharps" are probably along the lines of what I was hoping to find: a collection of different examples of varying complexity.

Thanks, again...

Andrew, some more resources from the KnowledgeBase that may help:

TECH TIP VIDEOS:

HOW TOs:

PS: I'm not sure why the last one doesn't come up as a link (maybe its too many characters). You can access it from here: http://kbase.vectorworks.net/categories/How+To/

Edited by mike m oz
  • 3 weeks later...

Just following up on my original question for amyone who cares...

I've been working through ArchonCAD's 2 Worksheet tutorials and have found them to be quite helpful. They provide some good initial ideas and give fairly clear step-by-step "this is how you get there" examples using sample files. Because these respirces are local to my computer, I don't need to be connected to the `Net in order to use them.

Thanks, Jonathan!

The other options given were interesting, but were more in response to specific questions - and I hadn't been at the point of even having questions.