Architectural modeling in VW or other software?

Acadia

Hi guys,

I've always used VW for both the 2D documentation, and the 3D models using VW tools for presentations.

Lately I noticed/heard that Sketchup and other 3D modeling software are more intuitive to model and easier to edit than VW.

So, for complex projects, not a boxy or ranch style house, do you still use VW for the 3D-presentation part (aside from using the basic 3D as a BIM) or do you employ other software and if so which ones?

Thank you!

I was all set to learn SketchUp and started with a couple of books and by the time I'd gotten well into the books I decided that once I began to model the interior of my structures I was better off starting from the beginning in Vwks and not revisiting all my earlier decisions* as one would need to do using two different programs.

I WILL use SketchUp Pro in the import/export conversion of models from .skp to .3ds and then into Vwks

*Although you can import the SketchUp model, you may still find that there are needs to revisit wall locations established earlier in SketchUp. Vwks walls likely will have interior components or brick veneers which require a slightly different wall location (face of stud, for instance) than a similar wall in SketchUp.

We use a combination of Vectorworks, Sketchup and Artlantis (for final rendering) What we have found is that in Vectorworks you can relatively quickly generate the geometry for building elements particularly doors and windows that you could model in Sketchup but would take far longer. So our workflow goes:

1. Create base model in Vectorworks

2. Export to Sketchup to apply colours and materials. We are not fans of Renderworks and find the images that we get from Sketchup are preferable. We also finish off some of the modelling in Sketchup as it can be quicker and easier to do this.

3. If the occcasion and project demands we then export the sketchup model into Artlantis and/or Piransi for adding lights and high quality rendering.

4. Finally we export to Photoshop for formatting the finished images.

Sounds cumbersome but we find the above process is an quick and efficient workflow

We used to model everything in VW but once we got into Sketchup we never got anything done in VW anymore. Sketchup is more intuitive, much and much faster, and easier to edit and to use in the communication with customers.

Then to render photorealisticly Sketchup models are easier as well, many options available from free to super highend commercialized render app's.

We have also started to model in Modo lately. We still make all our engeneering drawings and layouts for drawings in VW though.

Francois