Decreasing Render Speed

JMRoth

Is there any correctable reason that, when I'm generating an animation, the Time Remaining keeps increasing and increasing? Last night I set up a render to run overnight. When it started, it projected ~7 hours; 4 hours later, it was projecting 13 hours to go, and this morning, after 13 total hours of rendering, it had rendered less than 1/3 of the animation, and said it had 22 hours to go.

I need to know whether these things will ever, in fact, finish. I've cut it down from about 1300 frames to 283, but I still see the Time Remaining creeping up with each additional rendered frame.

PS - I know this isn't a great rendering machine, but that doesn't explain never-ending renders.

Did the hare ever catch the tortoise?

I think you can safely quit, simplify the scene somehow, restart your computer and re-run the animation and have a result long before the current process will be 50% completed.

Are there repeated objects you can convert to symbols?

Are there small parts that can be eliminated / or have their classes turned off?

Are there curves / circles extrudes / sweeps that can be generated by short sided polygons? eg. a dodecagon for a circle.

Can you eliminate reflectivity of some surfaces, transparency?

Can you reduce the number of lights?

283 scenes really isn't that much.

Also - and I'm not sure of this, but I have a feeling that setting to Never VW>Preferences>Retain Rendered Model will also help.

OK, thanks for the tips. In the end, I resorted to OpenGL rendering (I hadn't realized at first that, with appropriate OpenGL prefs, you can get decent results) at good speed. I don't think I knew that symbols render faster than groups, and I'll have to test a few other of those things. But I'll tell you what - it was a pretty simple model - I'm not sure there were any curved objects. And my hard drive has 10s of GB available.

Anyway, thanks again. The client was pleased. I think my procedure - at least until I get a good rendering machine - will be OpenGL walkthroughs supplemented by top-notch fixed view RW renders.

• Like 1