Autocad viewport

Viewports, or viewport like functionality is currently being considered for a future version of VectorWorks. Currently VectorWorks is limited to 1 main drawing window. You can create a series of layer links to view a model from different sides, but there are cropping issues that cannot be worked around.

Matthew Giampapa

Technical Support

quote:

Originally posted by peter jones:

Although vectorworks 9 imports from Autocad 2000 in model space it does not cope well with viewports. Unfortunately 90% of Autocad Users have now adopted viewports for most drawings - does anyone know it there are any workarounds / techniques to deal with viewports ??

[This message has been edited by Matthew Giampapa (edited 10-03-2001).]

• 2 weeks later...

Peter my only suggestion is to get a copy of Virtual PC and install copies of autocadd 14 and 2000.

while this is not a fix for vectorworks it will give you the ability to view the drawings in their native environment on your mac (i assume your using a mac). this helps in many ways as you can then bind any x-refs that may be on the drawings and also change the drawing to model space, save as new file name then import into vectorworks. it will also give you the ability to see the line work (dashes etc.) which does not translate well.

this is the only solution i have found and use every time i recieve a drawing from a consultant. you can also use it the other way to see how your VW drawings translate for the consultants and make any adjustments as necessary.

Alistair