Problems with Walls

genie

I have a problem with my file whereby sometimes some walls crank out of place. I don't know what causes this, but it happens often enough with the same file to cause significant time loss in fixing the walls that went out of place.

Has anybody had that happen before, or can somebody take a look at the file if I email it? I'd really appreciate any insight in this bug.

Thanks a bunch.

Guest Wes Gardner

My walls seem to stay joined (or not) depended on whether I have "Enable Connected Walls Mode" on or off.

Here's a test file, can you make these walls fail, if so how?

Enabled Connected Walls mode allows you to move joined walls in Top Plan without losing the join. For me, when switched off, you can move the walls independently.

It also works in a 3d view but it's important to select the wall with the 3d selection tool (Shift X) otherwise they just move about the screen plane.

I also have wall problems. Joins undo, walls displace, and when altering a wall with an existing join they can pull the existing join instead of breaking and rejoining as they're supposed to and use to. The behaviour is not consistent or predictable, it's intermittent, and when it does occur it can vary from a few walls needing reconnection to complete havoc with walls ending up all over the place.

The remove wall break tool's behaviour is also inconsistent with walls often remaining locked together after use and breaks remaining in place.

This problem is not the result of a simple misuse of the Connected Wall mode, on or off it behaves as it should.

I use all the wall tools as I have in previous versions and never encountered any such issues until 2010.

Just noticed the original post's signature is for Vectorworks 2009, we may be talking about different problems.

Edited by M5d

I haven't identified a precursor or pattern I can link to the problem. You find one wall undone as you're working and then check around and find they're broken in several places. If I discover something specific about when or why, I will submit a Bug Report.

Turning VW on and off sorted the problem! Pretty basic but I can't keep doing that all day!

By the way our problem was / is with 2010 and a new file and so it should not be any inherted bugs and or 2009 bugs.

When it comes again we will submit a bug report to NNA but they send it back saying it has to be resolved locally and be sent to CU in the UK who then say they can not fix it and they have to submit it to NNA in the US who then report back to CU and who then report back to us. Such a long sentance but it is such a long proceedure which is time consuming and usually eaves bugs / items unresolved.

genie, in that case, perhaps you could either explain more precisely what you mean by "crank out of place", or post a screen shot of the problem, or both...

Peter,

The walls that were initially connected at right angles, break away and crank at an angle. See attached image files. Now, the only solution I have is to move them back whenever that happens. It's driving me insane!

I think the problems others are describing may be different from what I'm experiencing though and has to do as it has been pointed out, with "connected wall" mode.

Thanks.

genie, I have not seen this particular problem. If you can reproduce it by a series of specific steps you should file it as a bug. If not well.... I understand your frustration. Don't take this the wrong way, but often problems like these can (eventually) be attributed to "operator error", in other words, something specific you are doing as you draft & design in VW's. Sometimes it's an accidental shortcut key being hit, sometimes it's a preference set incorrectly, etc. etc. Not to say it always comes down to this, just that it often does. I would recommend that you very closely observe every step of your work for a half an hour or so, and see if it happens. If so, what was it you did immediately prior?? If not, speed up and see, etc. etc. Hope you can figure it out. P

Peter,

Unfortunately, I'm not the only one working on that file. So it's tough to track the cause of that. You may be right that operator error may have caused the file to be corrupted.

Michael,

As far as I know, when dimension strings change when object is moved, dimensions are associated with the object. To break the association, just pull the dimension length out and it will disassociate with the object.

As for walls moving, if connected mode is not on, I'd suggest deleting the walls and redrawing them, and see if that get rid of any weird kinks.

Hope this helps.

Hi Genie, Although it's been a while since I've had a really funky file, I do remember having some. There is nothing more frustrating, especially when it's "crunch time".

In the past I have had some success with copying and pasting each layer's content's into a new file. Very time consuming and perhaps imperfect. However if done with some examination it may lead to a culprit (or culprits) which can be as simple as one particular symbol (or object even) that VW's for some reason doesn't like.

In any case I wish you luck.

Peter

• 3 months later...

When I have the walls where I generally want them, I sometimes uncheck "Auto-Join Walls" in the Preferences. I don't know if that is causing your walls to skid around. It looks like you selected more than one door and a window to move, and the walls moved along with them. There is an option button for moving symbols out of the wall on the window bar.

Jonathan Pickup just happened to have a new video on moving doors:

http://www.youtube.com/archoncad#p/a/u/1/lOOvNt4UXvs

Edited by Bob-H