Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Script to randomise Z-height within a certain amount

HP Sauce

How would one go about scripting such a thing?

Usage in example:

Ten image prop symbols of a bush are placed at Z0. The user selects the symbols, executes the script, and is asked for a minimum and maximum Z height along with a direction constraint (lower only for example). The script then randomly moves the symbols up or down on the Z plane.

Use Move3DObj(0, 0, dZ); to move an individual object.

To generate a random value between to numbers, use the following function:

function RandVal(LL, UL :Real) :Real;
{ Generate a random value in the range LL -> UL inclusive. }
Begin
UL := UL - LL;
RandVal := Random * UL + LL;
End;		{ RandVal }

By sending the appropriate limits to the RandVal function you can control whether your objects move up or down.

Raymond

How would one go about scripting such a thing?

Usage in example:

Ten image prop symbols of a bush are placed at Z0. The user selects the symbols, executes the script, and is asked for a minimum and maximum Z height along with a direction constraint (lower only for example). The script then randomly moves the symbols up or down on the Z plane.

Shouldn't the symbols be Sent to Surface? In the absence of a DTM? Ah-ha! Lower only?

Whatever. I must investigate this in relation to my Forest Simulator.

forestandtrees.png

Forest Simulator... Gold! That looks like a great tool.

Sent to Surface? No sir, this was purely for artsy renderings wherein a row of duplicated bush symbols are not all exactly the same height, producing a much more natural look.

Thanks for the code snippet and direction MullinRJ.

Sent to Surface? No sir, this was purely for artsy renderings wherein a row of duplicated bush symbols are not all exactly the same height, producing a much more natural look.

Yes, a great idea, which I may incorporate into my tool, although the main workflow is that after the forest has been created, trees & shrubs are sent to surface. (I use it to create random tree covers as backdrops.)