Referencing Files

JSiegel

Hi All,

I am having difficulty referencing a VW file. I am looking to reference in a 3D site model into my architectural plan. I establish a new design layer for the referenced file>class is set to "none" and I get the following message:

Creating a reference to a Vectorworks file... via the Resource Browser.

If you want to reference layer geometry...external file as the source.

If you want to use old style layer import... References pane.

... I select OK and the reference does not appear. I am new to referencing files in general, but have been able to reference PDF files with no problem. What am I doing wrong? More importantly what is the best way to reference the site model properly? TY Jeremy

Guest Wes Gardner

Make sure your Layer control is set to at least "Gray Others" - if it is set to "Active Only" you may not see the referenced file (although it will actually be in your target document)

Your methodology is sound - you should be able to use your architectural plan file as the "target" file and your site model file as your "source" file.

You'll then want to open your target file and create a reference using the "Create Viewport" scenario, creating a layer for the source info to "land in" - select External Document, navigate to the source file using the "Choose" button and hit OK. The source should appear in the target file.

Jeremy, check all of your "Z" (height) values. Often a Site Model exists WAY above the "zero" mark in elevations. There are a couple ways to correct this, the easiest of which is probably to change the "Z" (sp: bottom Z) of the Site Model layer so thereby moving the Site Model up (or down) as desired. Hope that helps.

Further, another way is to adjust all the Z values for al of the other layers so that they are correct with respect to the Site Model. This *may* be more useful later on if you are wanting to derive actual elevation/grade numbers for use in the field.

Although in most cases the original survey data is referenced to some arbitrary benchmark (as decided by the surveyor) so watch for this as well, and adjust your model (and your thinking) appropriately.