Question about using Soft Symbol's Title Blocks w/ VW2010

PowerPC

So I just recently purchased the Soft Symbol V3 for Vectorworks 2010 and I was trying to use the title blocks (in the 2D Draft folder) ... but I'm having a bit of a time using these ... are they just 2D images or can they be used as actual records ... i.e. can I use them as a title block or would I have to create a "custom title block" using one (or all) of them as a template. If that's the case, then what size do I set the print boundary to? If I use US Arch D the title block is twice as large as the page and then I'm going to have to edit each component individually. Any of this making any sense?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi PowerPC [and hi Ray]:

Steve Shelley here. The title blocks in the FT-2D Drafting Elements object library are 2d symbols, but they contain no info record. there's no data or anything fancy like that. paste it into the drawing, double click to edit, or command-K [on a mac] a selected title block to convert it back to a group. then you can ungroup and move stuff around to your heart's content. at the time, i figured that trying to attach data records might be more troublesome. i have to revisit this file in the near future.

as for your statement "use them as a title block, or would i have to create a 'custom title block'; i'm uncertain as the process you're talking about--i just haven't done that. i've just used these symbols or variations of them.

once one of the title blocks is reverted to being a group, it could then be selected and it's scale could be changed to suit the drawing size. i'm not certain how to respond to your inquiry about the print boundary, sorry. if you have other questions that i can help you with feel free to contact me offlist; mrtemplate@earthlink.net.

thanks,

shelley

Mr. Shelly,

Thank you so much for the response ... and in doing so I instantly recognized what I was doing wrong (I hate when I post a question and then realize that the answer was staring me directly in the face!). What I was doing incorrectly to start was that I was inserting the 2D title block in my "Sheet Layer" not my "Design Layer," thus causing the scale of the title block to be out of whack ... after correcting that problem I then used the title block as a 2D element.

Regarding my statement "use them as a title block, or would i have to create a 'custom title block'" The 1st part was referring to whether or not I could use the "Sheet Border" tool with the FT Title Blocks, which I now know you can't, so the 2nd part of the question should have read; "can I then convert the FT Title Blocks into a "custom title blocks" that I can use with the "Sheet Border" tool and the "object Info Palette?". This would lead to the print boundary part of the question, which is a reference to how Nemetschek recommends that you create a "custom title block" to interact Object Info Palette http://download2.nemetschek.net/TechTips/Custom_Title_Block/Custom_Title_Block.html. In the video they recommend that you set the scale to 1:1 and then set the page boundary to the size you normally print at (36x24) ... this is where I run into the problem since I'm not building a title block from scratch but using the 2D insertion tool to insert the FT title block. When I do this the FT title block is the wrong scale ...

Anyway, I guess you might asking why go through all this trouble when I could just insert the title block as a 2D element in my drawing and be done with it ... the only answer is that I like a challenge ...

Hope all that wasn't too confusing and thank you for a FABULOUS product!

Hi PowerPC [and hi Ray]:

Steve Shelley here. The title blocks in the FT-2D Drafting Elements object library are 2d symbols, but they contain no info record. there's no data or anything fancy like that. paste it into the drawing, double click to edit, or command-K [on a mac] a selected title block to convert it back to a group. then you can ungroup and move stuff around to your heart's content. at the time, i figured that trying to attach data records might be more troublesome. i have to revisit this file in the near future.

as for your statement "use them as a title block, or would i have to create a 'custom title block'; i'm uncertain as the process you're talking about--i just haven't done that. i've just used these symbols or variations of them.

once one of the title blocks is reverted to being a group, it could then be selected and it's scale could be changed to suit the drawing size. i'm not certain how to respond to your inquiry about the print boundary, sorry. if you have other questions that i can help you with feel free to contact me offlist; mrtemplate@earthlink.net.

thanks,

shelley