Slow File

So I have some slow files that I'm dealing with and I'm trying to identify what is making them slow. This is not the first time this has happened to me. The use of design layer viewports and the import of 2D geometry from AutoCAD are the two consistent items in all the drawings. They are all 2D only drawing.

I typically import the AutoCAD files to separate VW files. Then I open those files as required and copy and paste that geometry to a layer in my main VW drawing. I use these as my backgrounds. I use one layer as my background layer. I then create other layers as required and use DLVP to show that background geometry and then draw on it. I then create sheet layers for printing and they would of course have viewports to the layers that I have drawn on.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Good question Ozzie.

I try to do as you say but more often than not it works better for me this way. First, I always have to modify the referenced drawing's class & object attributes extensively. It has worked out easer to manages this when everything is in the same file. Second, when exporting back to a DWG I find it much more reliable if all of the geometry is in one file.

I understand what you are saying

Design Layer Viewports are not perfect as yet

I always am wary though of copying and pasting into my VW drawings from imported AutoCAD stuff - others may not be

Second, when exporting back to a DWG I find it much more reliable if all of the geometry is in one file[/Quote]

I have not tried exporting to dwg with references attached

99% of my work - Pdfs are fine

Is it possible for you when importing dwgs to map the Classes better to suit you?

I have not tried that either

Edited by Ozzie
  • 4 weeks later...
Design Layer Viewports are not perfect as yet

Agreed

I always am wary though of copying and pasting into my VW drawings from imported AutoCAD stuff - others may not be

I usually don't have an issue with 2D geometry. If your not careful, 3D geometry can make your file very large and slow. You just need to be careful to bring in just what you need. The nice thing about copying and pasting into your main drawing is that you can keep the original file your copying from intact and unchanged. After you paste the geometry into your main file, you can then make whatever changes you need to it.

Unfortunately, I can not control how the file I receive is organized. I often find that there is geometry that I don't need in the same class as items I do need, there are items who have their attributes set individually and not by class and items that share the same class but need to be adjusted differently. It can sometimes be quite a mess for me to deal with.

Is it possible for you when importing dwgs to map the Classes better to suit you?

I never tried this. I'll look into it the next time I have a chance to.

If I have the imported file referenced via a Design Layer Viewport and I need to get some geometry from it I will copy it and Edit/Paste In Place into a brand new file - there I can check the geometry etc

Then Copy again and Paste In Place into my working file and apply Attributes as required - keeps things cleaner especially when you get the roundabout of drawings exported from ArchiCAD to dwg etc