cutting objects out of other objects.

ChrisB

I am trying to create a ceiling in a hotel for a rendering. I am a lighting designer and am new to creating the building models. I have made an extrusion of the soffit or dropped ceiling. in the middle is a circle cutout with flourescent tubes inside to light the circle cut out. I tried to make a circle and extrude to the height of the cutout and then use the intersect or combine tool. It would not let me do that to those object. What do i need to do to basically have a cube and cut a cirle in it but only half way through it? I hope i explained it ok.

While I am at kinda same principle the walls of this room have 6" indentions in them at 3' intervals how can i cut out lines in a wall or put bumpouts on them.

THanks,

Chris

VW 2010

Vista

quad core 2.4

8gb ram

Chris, the easiest way to do this is to work with the 2d objects that underly the extrudes. Check out the "Clip Surface" command. If you double click the extrude you will get back to the original 2d polygon from which it was created. Next, draw the circle(s) that represent the hole(s). Then select the Polygon and Circle(s) and then run the command Modify/Clip Surface. The circle(s) will remain selected after the command - delete them. Then, finally Exit back to the Extrude and it will have holes cut out of it as desired.

Of course, if you are thinking ahead, you can modify the 2d shape prior to actually extruding. This makes it even faster.

Hope that helps. Happy Thanksgiving ;-)

Peter's solution is best if the circle cutout needs to go all the way through the ceiling extrude.

If you need to have the circle cutout only go part way into the ceiling extrude, you would have to do it after extruding. It sounds like your method is correct except you need to select both and use the Subtract Solids command in the Model menu.

If you post a file with an example of what you are trying to do it makes it very easy to give you a solution.