using some tools in the rotated plan view

I am having problems using some of the tools properly when I am in the rotated plan view with VW 2010.

The ones I have come across is the trim tool, the connect/combine tool and the tangent attribute. For me, the trim tool deleted the whole line, arc, etc. instead of the portion I wanted to trim. The connect/combine tool connected to the wrong end or side, and the tangent tool wouldn't allow me to draw a line tangent to an arc (when starting from the arc).

These tools worked fine when the view is in top/plan

Has anyone else had these problems? I'm wondering if this is a bug?

Unfortunately, I found quite early on with 2008 that it was best to avoid rotate plan and only use it when absolutely necessary. Its a shame that this appears still to be the case.

If you want to rotate a plan to permanently orientate it, its best to rotate it in a viewport. This reduces the number of operations that need to be performed in rotated view.

Submit it as a bug. Its the only way this functionality is likely to be improved.

Marietta - have a look at this thread I posted a few days back

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=132774#Post132774

No one at all has commented but I can reproduce faults with Rotate Plan quite easily and probably others could also if they tried - perhaps they do not wish to appear negative

Unfortunately, I found quite early on with 2008 that it was best to avoid rotate plan and only use it when absolutely necessary. Its a shame that this appears still to be the case.[/Quote]

I did also with 2008 and was happy when 2009 arrived - however what is Rotate View for?

Just to sit there and look at?

If you want to rotate a plan to permanently orientate it, its best to rotate it in a viewport. This reduces the number of operations that need to be performed in rotated view.[/Quote]

This though does not at all help Marietta's problems as assumedly she is using Trim, Connect/Combine and Tangent Attribute on a Design Layer

Vectorworks in my view is the best software in the world to do what I do and it is a shame this if true is happening

As for submitting a bug - perhaps NNA is monitoring this board and could test some of these things themselves and even feed back here - they recently did for Snow Leopard

My 'Work Around' is - do not do anything to important In Rotate Plan - Save View/Top Plan/Do Task/Return To Saved View and work on - did it most of the day today

Are others experiencing these problems?

Edited by Ozzie

Thanks. I will submit as a bug.

What I was hoping for in rotate plan is to perform some of the tools more easily when objects are aligned. Doing text and plant tags at least works well, but some of the note tags do not.

What it appears to be is that I will have to do most of the work in plan view instead and remember to switch back and forth - usually I would forget to do this.

Another thing I caught on very quickly is that you cannot copy items from another file and paste in place when in rotate plan view, even if both plans are rotated, or referenced. They will not copy to the proper place. This at least does make sense to me, as the paste in place tool would use the point of origin to paste.

Marietta,

I do not wish to be or appear to be negative about VW.

I will though be honest with what is my experience and surprisingly none of the more experienced users like Jonathon, Mike, Ray, Pat or who ever has chimed in on this.

BTW all of the above people and more have helped me enormously in the past

Rotate Plan in my view has not worked properly since it began in VW 2008 and still needs more work to get it right

In 2008 I had plants that disappeared - they really did not just the origin of the Symbol definitions shifted from X=0 to y=0 to what I called whoop whoop land and someone wrote a script to fix things which worked

Others had issues with Viewports shifting

I also in that version had corrupted Worksheets - no matter

In my opinion you are right with everything you say

You just have to work along and be aware of what really takes place

In Rotate Plan - rotate a symbol as an example and it does not rotate in place - very understandable and must be really difficult for NNA to resolve

When and if they do fix things it will be great

I am confident we are not the only two experiencing this - good luck

Again just wondering why no one else comments