Photogrammetry Survey module for VW 2010/11

Carl Newton

Question

As this is the wish list section for the forum can I suggest Nemetschek develops a Photogrammetry module for VW 2010/11.

As a designer I would love to have an integrated package that I could develop a quick and very precise 3d survey model of a site or historic building from digital HDR photos. Not only will this provide me with a highly accurate 3d model that will include a real life texture and rendering of the subject, but it will also be convenient and affordable as you will not have to hire expensive 3d survey and scanning equipment.

I have recently searched for some software to help me survey an Historic Grade 2 Listed Tidal Mill in the UK and I was most impressed with Topcon's ImageMaster Photo but I think this could be improved upon by producing a Mac version and by simplifying and integrating the process with VW. I must confess though, I have yet to use the software but I was most impressed with the demo video.

4 answers to this question

Thanks Peter

I have seen this software and it looks very good for inserting a 3d model into a photograph but this is not quite what I meant.

Photogrammetry is a means of taking a series of photos at slightly different angles using a simple digital camera then alining points in the photos via the software to enable you to take precise measurements of objects and features within that merged image as well as having the ability to automatically produce 3d models from that image.

I must confess I first found out about this subject when I was researching QTVR systems and found some police forensic departments were using this system to recreate crime scenes in all there gory detail.

I have included a link to terrageomatics a company linked to Topcon the survey equipment manufacture to give you an idea of what could be done and the possibilities of having such a plug-in for Vectorworks

http://www.terrageomatics.com/

Edited by Carl Newton

Carl,

I think I know what you are after (having been involved with both heritage buildings per se and, especially, urban design in what is often called context.)

Let's be realistic here, shall we?

For the time being at least, the commercial demand for such software is limited. Unfortunately, there is almost a movement against this approach. I think they call themselves the Virtual Terrain Project or something like that: academics in their ivory towers are selling images over substance.

Your best bet, IMHO, is to get the 3D data created with whatever software and then utilise it in VW. Do not forget the rapidly-evolving laser-beam technology which is relevant especially to interiors.

Should I mention Building Archaeology? VW can be made to be very good in that via ASCII/3D/4D database constructs.

I found a very good Mac Photogrammetry app a few years ago called Imagemodeler by RealViz. They were bought out by Autodesk (boo!) in 2008 and for a while were still selling Imagemodeler as a standalone app. It was apparently a good seller because now you have to buy one of their other programs with subscription (specifically MAYA at over $4000 if you're on the Mac) and then you get Imagemodeler as a standalone app. They site improved workflow for the need to 'bundle' Imagemodeler, but I'm sure it was just to boost sales of their other products. Imagemodeler was just under $2000 when I bought it 3-4 years ago.