walls on site model

roshob

As a very new comer to VW and having battled with building site models etc. i have to say i have relatively simple understanding of this software so forgive the very simple questions.

i would like to create a wall on the terrain but am finding that it is not as simple as sending a wall to surface... am i having to build it using pads and fences or is there a quicker way?

thanks x

A very good question!

The Wall has all the necessary features. Why can't we send walls to surface?

Some years ago I wrote a script that created a series of walls to follow the designed surface above and a curvilinear plan. Nasty user interface, I seem to recall, but it worked.

It is possible to write a script that draws walls through 3D loci sent to surface. With a nasty user interface??

Could you tell me how, now that for the moment i have build walls etc. using pads, I can get rid of the red line that im guessing indicates that this object is in fact a plug in. I have tried double clicking and editing it by opting for the no line fill, but this as I'm sure you already know does not work... what am i missing here?

roshob, Yes, that's the way VW's works - you use pads etc. to model/alter the site to conform to your specific needs, then you place objects (walls, etc) on the site... It would be nice if you could Send Walls To Surface, perhaps a good Wishlist item. But in the meantime it is pretty simple to change the Bottom Z of walls to place them at the desired elevation.

As far as the red lines... I assume you mean the outline of the Pads & Fences (which are called "Site Modifiers" in VW Lingo)? You can easily make these invisible by making their Class invisible. Go to the Navigation Palette, in the Class Tab and find the class named "Site-DTM-Modifier" and make it invisible by clicking in the second column. See attached screen shot...

Hope that helps!

brilliant, thank you!

now for a tricky one which i think i already know the answer but have to ask as my boss is such a nagg pot about it!

Is there a way to smooth the triangles on the site model without using render works. We dont have renderworks (yet) it but we want to create a 3D model in VW that does not look like sketch up...

am i right in thinking i need to create a model using just nurbs? i thinks thats beyond my capabilities at the moment but i have to ask?

I saw somewhere in the big wide web world something about smooth shaded rendering with either the correct breaking angles or excessive breaking angles... but i think these are options just for renderworks and not simply landmarks..?

many thanks for all help !

bcd's suggestion to make

a temporary duplicate of

the DTM, then 'convert to group'

or 'convert to mesh' + then

'fit walls to roof' is how

i do it. fast + dirty

but you have to remember

not to copy walls that you

have already sent to the DTM,

as the undersides will be out

of whack, particularly if you

rotate or stretch them, all

looks fine in plan, but section

VPs reveal the horrible truth...

Have you tried simply rendering the Site Model in Open GL?? You can make it a more mundane color (in Site Model Settings/Graphic Attributes) so that it is less distracting.

Another possible method is to use the Drape Surface command over the entire Site Model (without walls or anything else). This will create a Nurbs Surface which can then be textured or colored as desired, without the triangulated surfaces which are always part of a Site Model.

drape surface sounds about right, I have tried the pale grey tones in open GL already but the triangulated surfaces show quite badly. I didnt realize there was such a tool within VW as drape so as it does the right job in sketchup its bound to be right in VW... thanks again for your help.

i dont have fit walls to roof option in AEC only create roof, create polys from walls or simple beam calculator...?

im i missing something as all the help menus/books seem to think its in the AEC drop down... i have version 2008... dont know if thats got anything to do with it?

roshob, it is generally helpful if you create a "signature" (in the "My Stuff" pulldown at the top of this page) which lists all of your computer specs and VW's Info. For example, whether you only own the "Fundamental" version, or have "Architect", "Landmark" or "Designer" make a big f=difference in which tools and commands you have at your disposal... Having this info right in your signature makes it much easier to provide assistance. P

Peter

As far as the red lines... I assume you mean the outline of the Pads & Fences (which are called "Site Modifiers" in VW Lingo)? You can easily make these invisible by making their Class invisible. Go to the Navigation Palette, in the Class Tab and find the class named "Site-DTM-Modifier" and make it invisible by clicking in the second column.

Won't turning the class off effectively turn the site modifiers off? Won't the site model then revert back to the original contours?

• 2 weeks later...