VW2010 export dwg questions

When I export a drawing file which has say 3 other drawings referenced into it, (and I'm doing this in order that I have 1 files with the title sheet on it and all the drawings that form the actual lines of the drawing are referenced in) I'm finding that the resulting dwg is not one dwg but 4 (1 is the format file (title sheet etc) and the other 3 are the other drawings that are referenced into it.

I know that on importing this into Microstation the references are picked up and the drawing looks fine. However, because of the way that one of our large jobs is managed (through an intranet thing that we upload to) we have to be able to export a dwg as one file, not a collection of bits that work together (it will only allow us to upload pdf or dwg files, no folders, no zip files, nothing else).

So, how can I export my file as a dwg and ensure it gives me only 1 dwg file. Like VW12.5 does.

Save as a different file name.

In the navigation pallet, go to the references tab and delete the references (I know it's counter intuitive).

Choose to import "referenced viewports."

Repeat as required.

This will give you a single vectorworks file which you can then convert.

It will also allow you to debug any reference problems at the vectorworks level rather than in acad.

Guest Wes Gardner

It could be a simple as renaming the .zip file to a .txt file BEFORE you upload to your ftp site - you'll then need to let whoever receives it know to rename it .zip, THEN open - this has worked in the past in a lot of situations.

OR

maybe try renaming the .zip file to one of the "allowable" upload formats

Edited by Wes Gardner
  • 3 weeks later...

Brudgers,

this is what we're doing, but it's not a quick exercise when you're trying to issue many drawings, and definitely slower than 'file/export/dwg/enter'. Plus it brings in all of the levels of all of the files that are referenced in, whether they are visible or not, which means we're ending up with multiples of the same level, which is causing the people we're issuing to confusion.

Is there really no simple way to do this? VW, can we have a 'export as one single dwg' button in the next update please?!

Thanks,

Sarah

Brudgers,

this is what we're doing, but it's not a quick exercise when you're trying to issue many drawings, and definitely slower than 'file/export/dwg/enter'. Plus it brings in all of the levels of all of the files that are referenced in, whether they are visible or not, which means we're ending up with multiples of the same level, which is causing the people we're issuing to confusion.

Is there really no simple way to do this? VW, can we have a 'export as one single dwg' button in the next update please?!

Thanks,

Sarah

Well, I've always found creating .dwg's to be a time consuming process...or one where people get what they get because it's the fastest way to produce the drawings.

The other option is just to open your .dwg's in autocad and bind the x'refs.

You can do this with a startup script and specifying it in the command line.