Wish List Black Hole

Over the past two years it looks like several requests have been made for adding a feature that enables one to produce a simple plot showing the photometrics of a lighting design. This is a basic requirement in many jurisdictions these days and it seems that the info is already there but we need to be able to get it out.

This post is written in frustration because it seems the requests have gone into a black hole........Is there any way to find out if NNA has heard the request and what their position is on the issue?

I don't want to go purchase another program and try to learn how to integrate it with my work only to find out an update is coming out from NNA soon.

Edited by stmlandplan
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to agree. I've been one of those who has requested this feature more than once and even spoke with Lightworks about their rendering engine. I've had to use other software to do photometrics. This means a lot of redundant work in general. Basically I don't do any more 3D or rendering work in VW anymore since I have to do the 3D and lighting work in other software. I have therefore lengthened my upgrade cycle for VW and will be dumping Renderworks. I will also probably scale back from Designer to something else like Architect.

I've answered my own question. With the help of Frank B. at VW it appears that VW Spotlight is capable of producing Light Density plots. My problem however is that the upgrade to 2010 is cost prohibitive at this time. I have finally come across a $100 lighting design software that does exactly what I need. www.visuallightingsoftware.com Its not a robust drafting package but once you get the hang of it you can pretty much control the essentials.

Hey for $100 for the professional edition this is the best value I have seen in a long long time. It's even set for LEED credit analysis.

• 3 weeks later...
I've answered my own question. With the help of Frank B. at VW it appears that VW Spotlight is capable of producing Light Density plots.

I don't think this is what you are looking for. Spotlight has for some time been able to do basic direct light level calculations but it's a simple point calculation. It does not calculate indirect light or factor in reflectances, LLF or CU. It's basically useless for architectural lighting.

Visual is a great program. I'm glad you found it. I have been using it for a few years now and it works well. I have also recently discovered Dialux. This is more or less like AGI32 but it's FREE. There is a larger learning curve than Visual but you can do a great deal more with it. I encourage you to check it out.