worksheets in VW12.5

RWSD

Hello

I'm using Designer 12.5 on a Mac. I'm trying to use a worksheet to count the 3d metric capscrews on a layer. They also have their own class.

I've set up the worksheet to list objects with a record, then chosen "capscrew, metric" [although I haven't given them a record]. I chose fields "Screw type", "Size", "Length", "Socket type", and "Head style". I then set up criteria for the layer and class.

The worksheet certainly counts something up, I now have rows 2.1 - 2.531, but there is no data, only a column of zeros under "Length".

How do I get useful information into this worksheet?

Thanks

Ronnie

If all you are trying to do is count objects you don't need a database.

In a worksheet cell type = then click the little triangle on the upper left side and choose "paste function", select COUNT.

Click the little triangle again and choose "paste criteria". Set up the criteria for what you are trying to count.

For example, this will count all the metric screw and nut objects in the None class:

=COUNT(((INOBJECT & (PON='Screw and Nut (Metric)') & (C='None'))))

If you do need to create a database, I highly recommend getting Pat Stanford's vectorscript that will return a worksheet listing all possible records and fields of a selected object. It's available in the vectorscript sharing section of this forum. It saves a lot of time, frustration and tears when creating worksheets.

hth

michaelk

Mike

Yes, that's it, thanks! OK, so how do you do it?

I want it to count fasteners on the 3d model layer and/or by class, and those incorporated in symbols on that layer. If I use "paste criteria" to set layer and class criteria in your worksheet with the database rows highlighted, it seems to count the fasteners while in the dialog, but it doesn't change the worksheet.

Ronnie

To get the spreadsheet to update in Vw 12.5 you need to open it and then choose Recalculate from the pop-up menu. In later versions of Vw you can right click on the spreadsheet on the drawing and choose Recalculate from the contextual menu.

To set criteria you need to have the Database row visible. Select the Database row and right click. Choose Set Criteria. This will allow you to filter what fasteners you want to report on.

Your not Robinson Crusoe in struggling with Vectorworks' Report capabilities. The process is not very intuitive and the documentation could be more user friendly.

I've been using Vectorworks since Minicad, and every time I try to use worksheets, my eyes glaze over.....

When I open your worksheet in my file, it goes from Row 1, the titles, straight to Row 2.1. As there is no Row 2 [with the little diamond], I can't set criteria for the database rows, the only option I get is "Select Item".

If I use the drop-down menu and "paste criteria" I still can't get it to recalculate the worksheet.

Ronnie

You need to put a checkmark against the Database Headers option to make the Database Header rows visible. You can then set or edit the 'filtering' criteria for that row. (Note: if you select the Database Header cell for each of the columns you can see the formulae that provides that column's information - make sure you don't change any of this information.)

Once you have finished editing the criteria hide the Database Header row again by unchecking the Database Headers option.

Edited by mike m oz

Gotcha! Nicely done indeed!

If there's a list anywhere in the manuals of functions [eg your =('Screw and Nut (ISO)-3D'.size)], I've never been able to find them, or have you guys worked it out by trial and error?

Many thanks guys, and hopefully this will help others too. I'll be visiting here regularly.

Ronnie

Worksheets are a very useful tool but there is a real need for some clear help notes, not only about function but the language required to facilitate them.

I too struggle too get my head around them. They seem very 'clunky' compared to other workflows in VW.

Ronza129 the Paste Function option opens up a dialog box which lists the available functions. You can find documentation on these in the Vectorscript Function Reference - you access this through the program Help menu.

Note - one thing I omitted to mention was the use of the Sum and Order icons. When you have the Database row selected you can insert these into the column headers. You need to use these to get a useful result. If you experiment with them you can see what they do.

Edited by mike m oz