Corrupted Files

I am having a tough time with this one and wanted everyone to know about it in case you come across it too.

If you go to save and you get a save as dialog, make sure that you save your file with a new extension or name. I have had the unpleasant experience in the last month of having this situation arise. If you do not save it with the new name, the next time you go to open the file, it will be corrupted and totally unusable.

It seems that by getting the save as dialog, VW is telling you that there is a problem. Maybe NNA could give us a warning prior to the save as dialog telling us that this is happening and why.

I have had this happen on two different files so far, using 9.0 on a mac (OS 9.1).

Hope you have better luck than me.

------------------

rich carrroll

carrollarchitects

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

A couple of months we had the same problem as you. We are using VectorWorks 8.5.2. We found out that there is another cause of this problem.

If you are working on a VectorWorks document and rename it in the finder or Windows while it is open, your document will be damaged severly and becomes useless. The same applies if you move a document which is currently open in VectorWorks while you move it. Also while working on a network, never save a Vectorworks document along the network. It is safe to open it and view it. But when you have to save it again, use "save as..." and save it onto your local hard disk. If you save along the network and a network error occurs, your file will become also severely corrupted and useless.

In all the above instances, repairing the damage is no longer possible. So be warned!

Wish you a nice day and much VectorWorks pleasure.

Friendly greetings,

StarGate